PET and Biopsy Next Week

Steph1235

I had my CT scan last week and the nodule grew another 2mm in 4 months. So it’s measuring 1.5cm. Doc recommended PET and biopsy. Trying to stay positive. I finally got my report and I noticed they said the nodule was in the upper Right lobe along the fissure line.  Also, noted there are few linear pleural tags? Anyone else have seen this? And if so was it malignant? Never seen that before and feeling like that doesn’t sound good to me. I also see they noted a new small nodule in left lung. That’s the first I’ve seen anything in left lung. PET next wed and lung biopsy next Friday. Sept 16th will be my 2 year mark since my RLL lobectomy stage 1a.

Please make sure they do biomarker testing on the biopsied tissue to determine if you have a treatable gene mutation. That is a high priority. Best of luck with both the biopsy and PET scan. 

Steph,

Linear plural tags; yes I’ve seen the term. They are a strand of tissue extending from a nodule to the pleural surface of the lung. It is kind of an old school term. One of my tumors was characterized as having a plural tag in 2007. I recall asking about it and my doc was far more concerned about the tumor than the tag. 

The PET and biopsy will yield answers. One of the things that make lung cancer so dangerous is recurrence after NED treatment. I’ve had 5 so I know what you are feeling. But, you may need put on your battle rattle and re-engage the beast. Thankfully there are vastly better treatments in hand. And Judy’s advice for lab testing the tissue to check for biomarkers is sound indeed. 

You can do this again. It is a large pain in the *ss to go back into treatment but if that is required, go with determination to beat it again. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

Steph,

I can't really add anything to what Tom said, but I want to let you know that we are all pulling for you and you'll be in my prayers.

Lou

Good news!  The PET Scan was today and the nodule showed no sign of uptake.  Doctor still wants me to proceed with Biopsy in this case dur to growth and that is became more solid.  I realize that the PET is not 100% because last time my nodule didn't light up and then proceeded with the wedge resection and it came back as cancer so they did the lobectomy.

Feeling hopeful today. ☺️

Good news! Presumably the PET also showed no signs of metastasis, which is a big deal.

After your biopsy, if it does turn out to be positive, is there any possibility you could opt for Cyberknife (precision radiation) in lieu of more surgery? When my recurrence happened, my oncologist had suggested that as a possibility before the bone met was found. Depends on location and other factors, but I know I was concerned about losing more lung tissue if they tried surgery.

To tag on to the others here; the biopsy is the real test.  The PET is good for other reasons, but the biopsy is the gold standard in determining malignancy.  Keep your hopes up and know we're all pulling for you.

Lou

Hi everyone, well the biopsy was yesterday and it didn’t go so great.  The doctor let us know before hand that the lesion was in a suboptimal location because it was in the right upper lobe but right on the fissure line that abuts the middle lobe.  There was an increased risk of pneumothorax.  We proceed and I was fully prepared to face whatever it took for a productive biopsy.  She was in there quite awhile a bit over an hour of breathe hold your breath breathe. At the end she told me she wasn’t sure she had gotten enough cells.  She explained it as a perfect storm with too much bleeding so low visibility, suboptimal location, and I had a pneumothorax that she was able to suck the air out.  Nevertheless, I was disappointed. If they didn’t get enough cells and the result was inconclusive I don’t know what the next step will be.  I guess it’s a wait and see scenario.  

Steph,

I am so vastly sorry to learn about your unsuccessful biopsy! It happens. My first attempt was with a flexible bronchoscope and was a failure. One gets mentally prepared for the mayhem and endures the procedure and discomfort and nothing! I know...but,

Stay the course.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Hi…so earlier this week the doctors office called and said the biopsy was inconclusive non-diagnostic.  Doc still thinks it might be scar tissue.  Wants me back in 4 months for a CT with contrast.  I also spoke with my pulmonologist she said scar tissue doesn’t usually grow and she feels it will most likely have to come out.  She was ok with waiting the 4 months.  So, I’m back to square one.  Feeling so much anxiety lately. 

Steph,

I understand your frustration and anxiety, but right now you have not been diagnosed with LC.  I had the same issue with the PET Scan and CT guided biopsy and had to wait three months for another inconclusive test before they finally put me on the table took a wedge and confirmed NSCLC Squamous.  I'm heading toward my 2 1/2 year mark and am still NED (No Evidence of Disease), so, there is always hope...and please don't spend the next four months worrying.  Do things that make you happy...go out to dinner, travel...spend time with loved ones, etc.  Whatever brings a smile to your face.  

Lou

Today 9/16 is my 2 year anniversary since lobectomy of lower right lobe.  Although there is some uncertainty I’m still here and happy to be.  Praying for a good outcome at my next scan Jan. 6th.

Live your best life everyday and try to put this out of your mind.  I think you know this having been down the road- just because the medical team is recommending a are-evaluation in January doesn’t mean you have to wait that long if you feel something has changed. You’re in the driver seat speak up and out loudly and politely cause the medical system isn’t on auto pilot.   

Steph,

It might be a good time to get a second opinion. If you are waiting four months anyways, it won't hurt to have everything reviewed by another doc.

Best,

Ro

Archived