Questions

Rojeff19

During a scan for another issue, I was found to have 2 nodules. 3 mm in upper right and 5 mm in lower right. The guidelines called for no follow up necessary. Being the uptight person that I am, I had a rescan at one year anyway. Had to pay out of pocket.

They found no growth of the two existing nodules but a new 8mm nodule in right middle. It seems strange that if I had cancer that the two existing nodules would not change but a new one would. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? 

I feel like it may mean bad news.

Rojeff,

Your rescan revealed a total of 3 nodules; all are very small. For comparison, consider a 5 mm nodule would be about the same size as an eraser on a #3 pencil. They are certainly too small to biopsy using a guided needle biopsy. Read into this information about lung nodules.

As for when they appear (and disappear--mine do), in my early years of treatment I had a here again, gone tomorrow nodule dance for the very small ones. To settle my mind, I started tracking the size and location (reported by CT scan) on a spread sheet. Now I have the information to distinguish between a new and troubling or an old reappearing.

You were wise to get your rescan. Perhaps the appearance of this new nodule may move you into routine CT scanning covered by your medical insurance.

Stay the course.

Tom

Can you tell me about your early years of treatment?

Did you find nodules as early and small as I have or were yours discovered later ( bigger)?

does the situation I described sound like LC?

Thanks for the reply:

The vast majority of nodules aren't cancer. I have a number of nodules that have hung around for years without change. Also, the same nodules appear on some scans and not others. The doctors explained to me that with very small nodules, the angle of the CT can determine whether they are visible or not. 

Bottom line is that it's smart to keep an eye on any nodules (which is why Tom was suggesting regular--usually annual--CT scans). But what you're describing right now doesn't sound alarming to me. If you're concerned, I'd suggest a consult with a pulmonologist--they are the experts in lung nodules.

Rojeff,

My diagnosis revealed a single very large tumor filling the main stem bronchus of my right lung. The tumor was biopsied and my lung was surgically removed. After a time, cancer regrew in my left lung. Then is where the nodule discovery situation occurred. My recurrence scan showed 3 tumors and a number of nodules. My oncologist presumed this diagnosis was of the same variety of my diagnosed non small cell lung cancer, squamous cell type and I was treated with chemotherapy. During surveillance scans in treatment, the tumors would shrink and the nodules would appear and disappear. 

Does your situation as described sound like lung cancer? I wouldn't know. A lung cancer diagnosis can only be made with a tissue biopsy and you are a long way from needing that. I think annual CT scans as Lexie suggests is the right move now.

Stay the course.

Tom

Archived