Back on Chemo

Rose Kaiser

I have been on just Keytruda since January 2021 when my doctor took me off Alimta because of the side effects after 2 years of infusions. CT scans were stable until I had a PET scan in September and there were 2 small areas in my right lung, which is where the cancer was first diagnosed in January, 2019. I'm stage IV with mets to lymph node, hip, sacrum and rib. The bone mets were taken care of with radiation early on. Radiation was out of the question this time because of scar tissue from the earlier radiation. I wasn't looking forward to going back on the Alimta, but I also know I don't want the cancer to spread anywhere else. I am thankful I had a wonderful summer feeling good all the time and look forward to beating this again. 

Hi, Rose,

Sorry about the progression--been there, it isn't fun. Just wondering, have you looked into clinical trials? I got treatment in a trial this summer, in large part because I didn't want more intense chemo if I could help it. I had a terrific response with the first scan; the second was more equivocal. I have my next scans next week (fingers crossed). 

Rose,

Sorry to hear about the recurrence. That is always a tough row to hoe, but I really like your spirit to "beat it again" and I believe you will do just that.  Lexie is correct about the trials and I know that Lungevity also provides information on available trials.  It may well be worth checking them out.  New treatments are coming so quickly (thank God) that you never know which trial could put you back on a road to NED.  Kristen is always willing to help out if you need further information from Lunegevity.

Lou

Rose,

Good to hear from you again but I'd rather it be a different circumstance. Progression is just plain lousy!

I'd also ask your physician about clinical trials that you might qualify for. In the meantime, I do hope Altima addresses the new mets.

Stay the course.

Tom

I'm sorry you are going through this. Alimta is not fun. I just finished 6 rounds.  Stay positive it will do the job until you can you can find a trial or a different treatment. Praying for a good outcome for you. 

Archived