PET results came in

Brent H.

I got the results in from my PET scan that I had done week before last. I had a follow up shortly after with my Primary Care. He didn't really have any info for me though. What he gave was a sheet with this info on it:

: The posterior basal right lower lobe lesion of interest on
axial image 154 measures 1.2 x 1.6 cm with SUV of 2.2. There are
emphysematous changes in bilateral lungs, worse in the right
upper apex. In the mediastinum there are multiple right
pretracheal FDG avid lymph nodes, representative of which is a
1.6 x 0.8 cm node on axial image 112 with SUV of 6.1. There is a
1.3 x 0.7 cm subcarinal node with SUV of 4.5 on axial image 127.
Physiologic activity is noted in the myocardium. There is
bilateral axillary lymphadenopathy with minimal FDG uptake, with
maximum SUV of 1.4, likely reactive.

I assume all of this is nothing of a major concern. I am no doctor so most of this is gibberish to me other than the measurements and that's about all I can decipher. On my previous CT the lymph nodes were not noted on that report. I'm not too worried by this but any insight is welcomed.

Edit: I have a bronchoscopy scheduled for Friday morning.

Well, the FDG uptake on some of those lymph nodes is a bit high. The lower right nodule they apparently were concerned about doesn't have a very significant uptake, but sometimes they don't, even when they are cancerous. You can't definitively diagnose lung cancer from a PET CT, but I'd suggest a consult with either a pulmonologist or an oncologist. At the very least, you should probably have another CT scan in a few months--but I'd get a lung expert in the picture, rather than just your PCP.

8 minutes ago, LexieCat said:

Well, the FDG uptake on some of those lymph nodes is a bit high. The lower right nodule they apparently were concerned about doesn't have a very significant uptake, but sometimes they don't, even when they are cancerous. You can't definitively diagnose lung cancer from a PET CT, but I'd suggest a consult with either a pulmonologist or an oncologist. At the very least, you should probably have another CT scan in a few months--but I'd get a lung expert in the picture, rather than just your PCP.

They have the bronchoscopy scheduled and plan to biopsy something during that time. It is funny because sometimes I feel like it is nothing, but then other times I feel like I know it is something. I had just got my wife home from a surgery related to thyroid cancer (cancerous lymph node that was missed in a prior surgery) and that were the results I received. 

OK, good. Hopefully the bronchoscopy will settle things. 

Unfortunately, it's impossible to go by our feelings as to whether something is "something" or nothing. Will keep my fingers crossed you get a good result with the biopsy.

Brent,

A biopsy by bronchoscope is a good call. The node with SUV of 6.1 is definitely concerning for metastatic disease; the 4.5 node less so, but of concern. Best to have them checked out.

Here is my explanation of a PET scan for your information.

Stay the course.

Tom

14 hours ago, Tom Galli said:

Brent,

A biopsy by bronchoscope is a good call. The node with SUV of 6.1 is definitely concerning for metastatic disease; the 4.5 node less so, but of concern. Best to have them checked out.

Here is my explanation of a PET scan for your information.

Stay the course.

Tom

Thanks for that explanation. That helps me a lot in deciphering the medical jargon. I know that no matter what the diagnosis is I am going to be okay. I gotta stick around to help my wife through her cancer journey. 

Archived