Bump in the road

LadyRoseBlade

LRB,

Owww!  That is not a fun thing for sure.  I hope they can knock this infection out quickly so you can "escape" all the hospital trappings that none of us seem to be fans of.  You'll be in my thoughts and I'm sending out antibiotic vibes for you.  Please get well soon.

Lou

LRB,

Talk about uncomfortable.  Wow, you are really under attack from a few things.  I don't blame you for halting all further testing until you're feeling better.  :)  
I hope all the stuff they give you helps you to feel better quickly.  You don't deserve this.

Lou

I am so frustrated.  Al I want to do is cry and stab something with a fork.  This hospital does not serve heathy food.  Lots of canned veg and fruit.  Powdered potatoes.  Cheap bread.  Husband brought me food from home.  For what I’ve been through and doing what I’m supposed to do, how can a hospital do that to their patients.  ????  LRB   I wanna go home.  

LRB,

I almost wonder if hospital food is intentionally bad so you don't get a hankering to stay there longer than they want you.  :)
Okay, that may not be true, but I agree that most hospital food all tastes the same whether it is scrambled eggs or chicken cutlet.  The steam trays take all the flavor and juiciness out of everything...  Hang in there, you'll be out soon enough.  Thank God for you husband though...

Lou

I totally get you on the food! One hospital system in my town has pretty decent food, but the one I had my lung surgery in has terrible terrible food. Dry, tasteless, overcooked, horrible cheap quality. Literally Campbells soup was listed on the menu that came with the tray. And they never got my orders right.

Lucky your husband can bring you real food! Hope you get out soon and have a nice real dinner!

When I was in the rehab facility after abdominal surgery (and sepsis infection), once I was upgraded from clear liquids only, I had the most difficult time getting the hospital food service to follow my meal orders. They constantly sent me foods I specifically could not tolerate and didn't order. Like tomato soup for someone with esophagitis and acid reflux...so painful! My husband had to bring me chicken noodle soup from home, plus mango sorbet (yum). The irony is that this hospital's food was actually good. 

I finally had a meeting with the social worker and food service manager, and that seemed to improve things. I was in the rehab place for 10 days after a 10-day hospital/ICU stay, and overall my care was very good. 

You may want to smuggle in some Ensure so at least you're getting some better nutrition. Hope you feel better soon and get the heck out of there. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had the cleaners come in today.  Now I feel like I have bronchitis and wheezing from the dust and cleaning products.  Ouch.  I don’t need an oncologist but maybe I need a pulmonary md.  What should I look for in one?  I don’t want someone who does kids asthma and allergy shots

ladyroseblade

I would look for someone who does a lot of adult work, especially with the serious illness (COPD, cancer, asthma, etc.).  In my case my puomonologist was also closely affiliated with the surgeon who did my lobectomy.  We don't often get a chance to interview our doctors, but a site like Healthgrades can help in showing what their practice consists of.

Lou

My pulmonologist was a referral from my oncologist who I trust very much, and I went online to look her up. Her practice matched my needs, her training was at respected & renowned institutions, she has great reviews, and she's a dog lover. 🐾

Is there a way the cleaners can use non-irritating unscented cleaning products and techniques that keep flying dust to a minimum? And maybe turn up the hepa filtration in the house?

I forgot to mention in the food discussion that after anesthetic your sense of taste can be affected. After my colon surgery, for several weeks a lot of foods just tasted "blah" and many random things tasted spoiled. I only had one meal on my last day at the hospital (IV and fluids only for 6 days prior) and this was the hospital with good food so I missed out!

• 1 month later...

I had my first post lobectomy ct scan.  No malignancy found.  Thank you Jesus.  And the nodule in the RUL which they aren’t concerned about, has actually shrunk.  My concern is the report stated “numerous non-active nodules throughout both lungs”. I’m not sure what that means, so I’ve scheduled a vv with my surgeon this week

what usually happens next?  More ct scans, pt scans ???

ladyroseblade 

Ladyroseblade,

Great news on the post-op scan!

I also have "numbers non-active nodules throughout both lungs". Over my 18-years of screening, they waxed and waned with every scan. Not a one turned malignant. I started tracking them on a spreadsheet because the anxiety of here today gone tomorrow drove me batty. 

What happens next: you'll likely be put on a sequence of screening CT scans, perhaps starting quarterly then tapering as the NEDs (no evidence of disease) pile up. You wouldn't have a PET scan unless one of the "numerous" fellows started growing.

Stay the course.

Tom

LRB,

You just made my day...clear scans are the gold standard around here.  This will be a better Christmas because of your scan...

Lou

You've been through the ringer-- but your scan results: WOW!

I have thyroid stuff coming up too. After watching both sides for 4 years, I predict the time has come for mine to be removed.

I hope you get a chance to rest before you have any more medical adventures.  

Karen

Archived