Moderator, Lou Torres talks about LCSC (read more)

KatieB

“I used to think support groups were for weak people. Then, I found LUNGevity and the Lung Cancer Support Community (LCSC) – boy, did that change my mind.”

Lung cancer survivor, Lou Torres, shares how he found hope and support in the LCSC as a patient and contributes to “his tribe” as a mentor now. Read about Lou’s experience:  https://www.lungevity.org/blogs/find-your-tribe

lou.png

Great post, Lou! I also thought I'd be dead by year-end when I was diagnosed with Stage IIIB two years ago. The LUNGevity community has been so helpful in turning my perspective around. 

How do you manage 2 Wheatons? My neighbor had one who was a therapy dog and they couldn't imagine having 2!

All the best to you. 

Thanks Judy,

Wheatens are surely high-energy, but they are also sweet dogs and a lot of fun to have around.  Of course they are always warning me about the UPS or Fedex truck, but that's only because they're trying to save my life.  :)

Lou

Wow Lou!  Very Inspiring and heartfelt.  You and I were diagnosed about the same time. I struggle with the dark places and trying to live instead of the other!  

How is your wife doing?  I can’t imagine dealing with the cancer and taking care of your wife?  I worry about you with all you have on your plate and I hope you have a good support system?   

Thanks for your post, you have helped me along the way with your encouragement. 

Babs

Thanks Bridget...I appreciate your comments.

Babs,
I felt honored to talk about how all of the super people in the forums really helped to save my life.  The 3am dark thoughts were terrible and I'm still overwhelmed at the support, caring and phenomenal knowledge I gained from this site.  Thanks for asking about my wife.  She had to be admitted to a memory care facility in January 2020 and just this weekend the decision was made to put her on palliative care.  It's a terrible disease for sure, but I've got support from my children, good friends outside and inside of Lungevity and I'm also a member of an Alzheimer's Caregiver Support Group, so those people are also in my life.  It was a tough time, but I've learned to accept what the disease does and now I focus on helping others try to navigate the terrible journey.  Stay positive and strong...we can do this.

Lou

Susie, 

I'm so glad and the real message is that "there is hope".  Just look around the forum at the different people who have gone before you.  They are the testament to hope.  

Lou

Wonderful post, Lou! Finding this site was the boost I needed when I started down this road. It certainly helped me keep my head above water when things got rough. Thankful for you and all the people here. 💙

Susan,

Thanks and I couldn't agree more.  This forum is only as effective as it is because of the people on it.  Stay well.

Lou