American Lung Association State of Lung Cancer

Judy M2

Today the American Lung Association released its 2021 state of lung cancer report. You can select your state and see where it falls in screening, new cases, treatment, statistical prognosis and other criteria. 

There is even a petition to Congress reminding them for the need for lung cancer research. 

Here is the link:

https://www.lung.org/research/state-of-lung-cancer

Judy,

Thanks for the info.  Geez...NC (my state) did not look too impressive.  But, I'm lucky to live near Charlotte and the Levine Cancer Institute, which has a pretty good reputation.

Lou

18 hours ago, Judy M2 said:

California didn't come in so well either, unfortunately. 

Judy,

I believe we need to look more at our individual medical centers than the state.  Levine Cancer Institute is either very good or average in a number of outcome criterias in the area of lung cancer.  I'll roll with that for now.

Lou

Judy - 

Thanks for sharing. Texas is definitely not the shining star on this list. It concerns me for many reasons, but mostly because we have a lot of refineries and other chemical plants along the coast. Those places are definitely not emitting happy smells and good vibes. I worked for an insurer in Galveston and our cancer plans were big sellers because so many people anticipated cancer. 

Very interesting.

Hopefully everyone is signed up for the LUNGevity Action Network, but in case you aren't yet, here is the link: https://www.lungevity.org/public-policy/lungevity-action-network

Public Policy and advocacy are a big part of what we do.  If you sign up, you will receive action items right to your email.

• 3 weeks later...

Wouldn't you think states with major research/treatment centers would be among the most highly rated? It suggests to me that they may need to do a better job of reaching out (e.g., with community education) in their own regions. 

Karen

Archived