Scheduled treatment went sideways

LexieCat

Was supposed to start immunotherapy with Tecentiq on Wednesday. Drove to appointment fine but got weak & breathless by elevator. Nurse practitioner wanted me evaluated first, so after two days in ED, they decided to admit me. Had more chest X-rays, CT scan, echocardiograms. No knows quite what the issue is but I’m very short of breath. O2 helps as does Ativan but I wanna get started with treatments.  I think my oncologist said they couldn’t do it while on oxygen. 

Thankfully my daughter will be here next week. 

At least I’m in Penn’s shiny new hospital wing—opened a couple weeks ago.

ugh—beyond frustrated.

Lexie,

So sorry to hear about this turn of events.  I wish they could determine the cause, but with each negative result that does rule out one or more serious possibility.  I can only imagine how you feel, as I do remember having to wait 2 months before a second scan then surgery and I felt like I was crawling out of my skin.  You've been under so much pressure lately and after your earlier treatments perhaps you're also overwrought.  While you're there, rest up and regain your strength.  Will they be checking on you and then begin treatment once you're off the oxygen or do they need to send you home and wait a specified time?  

Just know we're thinking about you and I'll be praying for you to get strong enough and get your treatment.

Lou

So sorry about this turn of events. Ativan is good for SoB episodes. Glad your daughter is coming to support you.

I just watched a presentation by CancerGRACE. Dr. Marmarelis was one of the oncologists on the panel. The doctors mentioned that when patients start immunotherapy, it can cause any old injuries to flare up due to inflammation. Just be prepared if that happens once you do get started. 

Hoping you can get your strength back and start treatment soon. 

Hi there.  I was actually thinking about you this morning.  Thanks for checking in and giving us an update. I’m so sorry you’re having to go through all of this.  Hopefully they get to the bottom of this soon and you can get back on track.  
Is the food any better this time in the new wing? 

Yow, how frustrating! Being in a new hospital wing, can you pretend you're at some fancy hotel with room service? Or is the food too bad? Seriously, I'm sorry to hear what your going through and I'll be sending positive vibes your way.

Lexie,

Oh my! I'm just getting around to reading this. Even a shiny new wing of UPenn's hospital with a view of Ben Franklin does not compare to home. I do hope they determine your cause for weakness and SOB. 

Please keep us informed. We worry!

Stay the course.

Tom

Lexie - 

I've been thinking about you but this was not the update I expected. I can't imagine how frustrated you must be with another hurdle. Here's hoping that everything gets squared away so you can get back to your treatment plan.

Archived