special need during chemo??

For those of you with chemo experience, is there anything that I should have on hand since my Dad is starting chemo?( He was supposed to start last Thursday, cancelled, and is going tomorrow.) I will most deifinitely be getting a Rx for Zofran or something comparable, but what about foods? Soup, ice cream...........are liquids or soft foods like that tolerated better? Whew!! Really nervous about Dad starting chemo. Hope you all have a blessed day!

Angie

My oncologist's nurse suggested salty foods and it was the best advice I received. For myself...I actually craved salt during chemo....chicken soup broths...potato chips......anything with a heavy salty flavor. My nausea appeared so much easier to handle with the additional salt....even though my normal diet didn't actually include alot of salt. Also...my husband made homemade mashed potatos that went down pretty darned easy too. I understand from other cancer patients that our palates during chemo tend to travel in some pretty odd directions. Good luck to you. Let us know what types of food are a hit with your dad.....

I think the best advice anyone gave me was to eat what I wanted. Lots of times food doesn't taste the same or the smell bothers me (kind of like when I was pregnant) so when I find something that looks, smells and sounds good I jump on it.

I've heard the salty thing before also, but haven't really noticed it being an issue for me.

my dad experiances a "metal" taste in his mouth the week of chemo. he also craves salt, tomato juice, milk (never ever drank it before) different flavor juices, bread, pasta (plain) chocolate and ice cream. All this from a man who was on the "protein diet" for the last year. i would say really anything he has a hankering for.

I think a lot of it depends on the person and what they LIKE to eat. I found that "comfort" foods were something I really wanted like my grandma's meatloaf or my dad's tomato soup, lol. I had a had time eating because of the radiation, not the chemo. Now I have had a hard time starting to eat again as I got so used to NOT eating, lol. Last Dr.s visit his nurse took one look at me and said "Get your a** up on that scale!!" She and I have always had a good rapport, lol and she knew I had not been eating like I should. Made it easier to order the brownie delight for dinner the other night though, lol.

Your Dad will let you know what he wants to eat but have a wide, easily prepared, variety of foods available for him.

God Bless,

MO

Try small portions of everything. chemo left everything tasting waay off, but I needed to eat, so I did. small bites, had problem swallowing (likely radiation). soft foods went better than liquids. applesauce, yogurt. I had problems with things acidic, like coffee (oh, that hurt) or too rich ( couldn't LOOK at chocolate). Had a real thing for steak though. and chicken bothered my stomach. Go figure.

Keep some of everything around, and eat when it strikes you. You can have more than one ensure or boost a day, and I can recommend Scandia shakes as having a great deal more caloric/protein value than ensure if you really have reduced solid foods.

Good luck.

XOXOXOX

MaryAnn