My Father has Stage IV SCLC

seanmdevine

Hello all,

My 78 yr old father with advanced COPD was diagnosed with stage IV sclc about a month ago. He starts chemo tomorrow, 1/10/22. I'm trying to educate myself more on what to expect over the next few months. Getting information from him has always been difficult and this new development has not changed things. I live pretty far away from him and have been asked by he and my mom to hold tight for now, but I cannot stop thinking I should be there right now. I would love any input and advice I can get. Thank you.

Sean,

Welcome to our forums.  I'm sorry to hear about your father's condition.  I can only imagine how hard it must be to not be there in person to help out, but perhaps your parents are trying to spare you what they believe will be additional anxiety.  What our folks do here is share from their personal experiences and knowledge support patients and caregivers.  SCLC is a different animal from NSCLC and often starts differently and requires different treatment.  There is an informative article from the National Foundation of Lung Cancer Research explaining the differences between the two cancers that can be found here.  We also have a forum on SCLC and that can be found at this location.

Perhaps you can find some of what you're looking for at these two locations.  But, it's likely to provoke additional questions which you can come back here to ask.  You'll be hearing from others shortly and likely some with SCLC.

Lou

Thank you very much for your response. I did find the sclc forum and posted another inquiry more specific to what is going on with him. I am going to follow the links that you gave me right this moment. Thank you again!

Archived