Jump to content

Second drug approved by FDA?


jack14

Recommended Posts

Today I got my check up and go ahead for getting back on the Tabrecta after being assessed by an ENT and my oncologist. Yay!!!

So anyway, my oncologist mentioned that if there’s a problem with the Tabrecta there’s another met drug that has been approved by the FDA. Does anyone know anything about it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jack,

The second approved drug for treating MET TKI is Tepotinib or trade name Tepmetko. Let's hope Tabrecta does the trick!

I hope someone with treatment experience with these drugs chimes in and give Jack some insight.

Stay the course.

Tom 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, jack14 said:

Anyone taking Tabrecta or Gabapentin?

Sorry for the late response. My wife has been on Tabrecta since June of 2020, she was on Keytruda and Carboplatin & that went well for 6 months until the tumor started growing again. She was then given a round of chemo which put her in the hospital for 5 day because it was too strong. While at the hospital her Oncologist has read up on a new drug that might benefit her (Tabrecta). She has responded very well with the tumor shrinking and the holding steady. She just had a scan on February 16th with the Dr. going over the scan on February the 23rd. I'll report back then. Forgot to mention my wife was first diagnosed on Halloween 2019. Feel free to ask any questions and I will try my best to answer them. Robert 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never took gabapentin myself, but my cat was taking it recently! it was for pain and mild sedation after her spay surgery. I've also known a couple of people who took it for nerve pain from chemo-caused neuropathy and who found it at least helpful if not totally effective.

Are you using it for pain or as a cancer treatment?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jack14-

 "Anyone taking Tabrecta or Gabapentin?"

These are two very different types of meds as mentioned by the others --   ARE your being prescribed both?

Gaba is typically given for Nerve Pain (or neuropathy) and also at times for pain caused by Shingles.

Tabrecta is a MET Inhibitor type of targeted cancer treament for those with the MEK Mutation

 

   Best wishes...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/18/2022 at 3:42 PM, BridgetO said:

I never took gabapentin myself, but my cat was taking it recently! it was for pain and mild sedation after her spay surgery. I've also known a couple of people who took it for nerve pain from chemo-caused neuropathy and who found it at least helpful if not totally effective.

Are you using it for pain or as a cancer treatment?

Pain in my left arm  from a lymph node that was pressing on my brachial plexus nerves. They also gave me 22 proton treatments to reduce the size of that tumor. The pain stopped but I am still paralyzed in that arm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/18/2022 at 7:21 AM, Robert A. said:

Sorry for the late response. My wife has been on Tabrecta since June of 2020, she was on Keytruda and Carboplatin & that went well for 6 months until the tumor started growing again. She was then given a round of chemo which put her in the hospital for 5 day because it was too strong. While at the hospital her Oncologist has read up on a new drug that might benefit her (Tabrecta). She has responded very well with the tumor shrinking and the holding steady. She just had a scan on February 16th with the Dr. going over the scan on February the 23rd. I'll report back then. Forgot to mention my wife was first diagnosed on Halloween 2019. Feel free to ask any questions and I will try my best to answer them. Robert 

Thank you, Robert!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Jack,

Tabrecta is a wonderful drug for most.  It worked on me, however, I became anaphylactic from it after 9 days and couldn't take it anymore.  But, I also want to add that this was an unusual reaction to the drug.  As Tom mentioned, there is another drug Tepotinib for the MET mutation.  The only reason I did not try Tepotinib is because there is concern I might react the same way.

Kind regards,

Deb

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After my lobectomy I experienced a lot of burning nerve pain and was prescribed 300mg of Gabapentin 3x and then 2x per day.  It did help relieve the severe burning I was feeling and I don't recall any negative side-effects from it.

Lou

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you Deb. I hate hearing that you couldn’t stay on it. I hope you are receiving another line of therapy and having success!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was tolerating the Gabapentin fine, but over time the pain (burning) was reducing so the doctor reduced my dosage.  In my case it worked well and did what I needed at the time.  I hope this helps.

Lou

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The reason I asked, is that my energy level has decreased significantly as of late. I read that one of the side effects is weakness and fatigue. I’m hoping that my onc lets me reduce my dose and it results in my regaining my strength. I see her this thursday. 

Anyway, I’m on so many meds, that it could be any one of them, or a combination.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good luck to you Jack.  Sometimes the meds do some good things, but at a cost.  Perhaps your doctor can reduce dosage a bit to see if there is a positive impact on your fatigue while still relieving discomfort.  

Lou

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/22/2022 at 8:53 AM, LouT said:

Good luck to you Jack.  Sometimes the meds do some good things, but at a cost.  Perhaps your doctor can reduce dosage a bit to see if there is a positive impact on your fatigue while still relieving discomfort.  

Lou

Thanks again Lou

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I found out why I’m so exhausted after just walking from one room to the other.

My oncologist ordered a CT scan because my oxygen saturation dropped to 87% after walking a few feet in her office. She feared that I had suffered a pulmonary embolism!

Turns out its some kind of pneumonia and now I’m on 500 my of Zithromax per day for two weeks.

My liver enzymes are high too. She said we might have to dc the Tabrecta. I have one and half months left, and I received two more bottles in the mail from the VA today. This stuff costs around ten thousand dollars a bottle!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.