3 months later

Chuck K

Hey Chuck, that is great news indeed!  I had a similar experience as well.  The remaining area turned out to be scar tissue from where the tumor was.  Doing stairs and walking up hills may always be a challenge for you over time it’s something you can get used to over time. 

For some of us there are accumulative side effects with long term use.  I have a palliative care physician to help me manage.  No one has ever really cracked the fatigue and weight gain though….

Carry on.  
Michelle

Hi Michelle 

It's good to here from you good to relate to someone with the same mutation and treatment. You are spot on about the stairs and walking. I'm having a hard time with knee and leg pain .Told guys at work if it gets worse I may have to take an early retirement. I started wearing knee high compression socks and it helps with the pain a lot. I am very pleased with how fast the Alectinib is working 

Almost 30% of us taking alectinib have joint pain/ mystery pain and that doesn’t mean we have to suffer. I had terrible knee pain too, spent months in physical therapy.  Finally we found something that did the trick- low dose Cymbalta- 30mg in the morning.  Technically it’s an anti-depressant but at low doses works well for joint pain.  

Alectinib penetrates the brain l some believe reduces neurotransmitters which causes joint pain… it’s worth a shot. 

Hi Michelle 

I've had bad experience with antidepressants in the past but a low dose may work. I'll mention it to my Oncologist next visit. Michelle do you or did you have a low heart rate from taking Alectinib? Started taking COQ10 it seems to help some

Yes, I still have a low heart rate- around 55 bpm.  Other medical professionals are clueless and I get tired of people saying “wow you’re really fit!”   The low heart rate is what contributes to the fatigue.   

I also had edema and had to wear compression socks and then after two years it resolved without explanation.  Lasix never really did all that great of a job.  

Do pay attention to anyone “unusual” shortness of breath as I developed pulmonary edema after about a year on Alectinib.  Seems side effects can occur at any time, not just the first few months.