need word of encouragement

Guest kate218

Guest kate218

HI,

sorry I'm not on so much. It doesn't always help to read some of the stories. My Dad is very weak. He was in the hospital for over a week because he couldn't urinate due to medications. Finally that is o.k. but his strength in his legs is pretty bad. He is using a walker now and it bugs him to no end. The Dr's won't give him chemo until he can walk on his own. The taxol has been working well, keeping it from growing and the Dr. was pleased that it has worked this long for him. I'm going to see him tomorrow and I need some words of encouragement for him. Some proof that even though he doesn't want to eat and that he is tired, that he can get stronger again. He is a bit down because the Dr. told him that most people in his situation have not made it this far and he is lucky that the Taxol has been working for so long. This is the first time ever, that his Dr. has ever even eluded to something like that. He never gave a time reference or anything like that. I think he was trying to keep him positive, but I'm not sure. I also need your prayers. I just can't lose him yet. I'm afraid my 4 year old won't remember him. This is such an evil disease ane he so does not deserve it. People keep telling me that no one deserves it and I say I can think of a few people in jail that deserve this. Not my Dad. Please pray hard that he is a miracle man.

Thanks,

Kate

Kate,

Just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you and your dad, and hoping for the best possible care for him. Dads are such special people, and I know this must be so hard for you and for him. You're right, this is an evil disease and no one deserves it!!! Keep your chin up and never hesitate to "let it all out" here, if it helps. I'm praying for you.

BeckyCW

Kate:

Tell your dad that my mom was in ICU on a ventilator for 4 days due to bleeding from a bronchoscopy. That was back in November. As you can imagine, she was very weak at first - she'd been hospitalized for over a week before this happened.

You'd be amazed how fast it is possible to regain strength - if you eat. And work at it.

Mom had another setback at Christmas - staph infection and chemo reaction.

But Sunday, she attended my 12-year-old's Jr. Allstate band concert, and today will visit to celebrate my 4-year-old's birthday.

She's not 100%, even though the disease is under control. Tired. But she's proven a lot tougher than some of the doctors thought.

Unless the dr. has a crystal ball we don't know about, he can't predict how your dad will fare with more/different chemo.

Determination, I believe, has a lot to do with how well a person recovers from a setback. Keep fighting.

Kate,

Miracles happen every day.

Tell your dad he needs to eat, to fuel his walking, which is just going to help his legs get stronger. Fairly simple, if fueled by hope. He has to want to eat, want to walk to get his legs stronger, and want to take the next steps.

One day at a time.

One foot in front of the other.

One baby step at a time.

And keep your eyes on the goal --

No reason since miracles happen every day your dad shouldn't be one.

God bless your father, and bless also his attitude, which contributes so much to his recovery.

XOXOXOX

MaryAnn

Guest kate218

Thank you all for getting back to me. Right now, my brother and my Mom are taking him for his Dr.'s Appt. They will probably admit him to the Hospital. His legs are still full of water and he has not be urinating a lot. Even after 2 doses of lycex(sp. ?) We are assuming that his kidneys are not working, but we don't know for sure. This was not supposed to happen to us. Not that is was for any you . My nephew is making his Communion in May and my daughter next May. I never expected either of my parents to be alive for their weddings, but they were supposed to be here for their Communions atleast. I can't believe God would do this to my kids. What will my 4 year old remember? My kids are so close to my parents, how can he break their hearts? So many people adore my parents. They have been so good to so many. And now this very proud man needs help for everything and that is making him so mad.

My kids are too young for such heartache.

Thanks for your prayers.

Kate

Hi Kate,

How did your Dad make out at the doctors? I have been where you are and it is a difficult spot...an understatement...huh...

I have said those exact words about my own children...in retrospect, the children aren't the ones we have to worry about, they are so resilient...it's us adults who don't fare as well. I am here if you need a friend, just pm me.

You and your Dad have a special place in my prayers tonight

God bless,

Lynn

Prayers and good wishes being sent your way. I also wonder how much my 4 year old grandson will remember but I am making memories for him right now with lots of pictures, videos and letters I am leaving for him.

Treasure the time you still have!

God Bless,

MO

Katie, my husband Bill died one week ago toay. He was diagnosed 21 months ago and was doing quite well. He worked until 6 weeks ago. You may just be having a set back but you need to be prepared in case things get worse. Do make that video and and take tons of pictures and record your children in any way possible with their grandpa. Our grandchildren are 7, 4, 2, and 1. Our two year old was here at the time he died and insisted on seeing Papa and giving him a kiss before he went to heaven. They all came to Bill's funeral and cried along with the rest of us. The little ones will remember him through pictures and the older ones will have vivid memories. Keep a positive attitude right now and build your own "future" for them with your dad. It will make all of you feel good even right now while he is struggling with some issues and trying to get better. Have courage and hope and the children will always know their grandpa as long as he lives in your heart.

Guest kate218

Hi all,

your prayers must have been heard. He didn't go to the hospital, they told him the water will go away and they upped the lacix. I saw him today, I went away for 4 days with my girlfriend to escape from everything, he looked a bit better. He is forcing himself to eat, but he doesn't like to drink that much and that is a problem. He is scheduled to get chemo on Thursday, I hope he is up to it. Thanks for all of your prayers and thoughts, they help!

Kate