Introducing Myself

gapace9319

Hi Everyone,

My name is Genna Pace; my mom was diagnosed with Stage 3A NSCLC in November of 2020 and as of February 2022 she has progressed to Stage IV.  After hearing the news of her new diagnosis my family and I have felt a bit lost and don't really know what to expect.  I, myself, am 32 years old and my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer at 60.  She is also a Triple Negative Stage II Breast Cancer survivor.  As her daughter, I guess I just wanted to reach out to others who have potentially had similar experiences and understand what my family and I have to expect.  We go back to her oncologist this week to come up with a game plan but I'm terrified of the outcome.  My mom currently has zero symptoms and feels great... it's hard to imagine that my time with her has gotten cut short.  Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi Genna - 

I'm sorry to hear of your mom's progression but glad that you found us. It's important to understand that there are many more treatment options than we had just 5 years ago. i was convinced that my diagnosis was a death sentence but I'm sitting here, 6 years after a stage iv diagnosis. You will no doubt hear from many others on this forum and they will have a lot of good information for you. 

Lean on us and encourage your mom to join us. 

Hi Susan,

Thank you so much for that and I am beyond happy to hear that your diagnosis is having a positive outcome.  My mom has had a bit of a hard time (understandably so) thinking that this is a death sentence for her.  Hearing stories of people like yourself would definitely help her I think.  Would you mind me asking about your Stage IV diagnosis? My mom's has now spread to her brain, pelvic bone, and clavicle.  We find out more this week from her medical team but any survivor insight you can grant may lift her spirits. 

Thank you again and so happy that you're doing well!

Genna,

Welcome to our forums.  I'm glad you found us, but sorry you need to be here.  You'll be hearing from others shortly, but in the meantime there is a blog or I would like you to take a few minutes with the first called. "10 Steps to Surviving Lung Cancer; by a Survivor" and it can be found here.  The second is our "Caregiver Resource Center" and it is on this page.  Both of these can provide some good advice and support for the journey ahead.  I cannot predict what will happen with your Mom, but what Susan says is true; there have been great advances in the treatment of lung cancer.  I pray that your mother will be the recipient of those advances.

Lou

Archived