Latest scan.

Robert  A.

Just got off the phone with my wife's oncologist and she told my wife that her tumor has grown. My wife has been on Tabrecta for 20 months and showed good progress until this latest scan. The oncologist thinks the Tabrecta is no longer working as it should so she is going to start my wife on Immunotherapy (Tecentriq). Has anyone taken Tecentriq in the group, would like to hear your thoughts. Robert

Hi Robert,

Very sorry to hear about this update, your wife had a pretty good run on targeted therapy as you prepare for the next line of therapy.  It takes a a little while to get your balance when therapy has to change, have you considered a second opinion?  Carry on as best you can and let us know how we can help. 
Michelle

17 minutes ago, Rower Michelle said:

Hi Robert,

Very sorry to hear about this update, your wife had a pretty good run on targeted therapy as you prepare for the next line of therapy.  It takes a a little while to get your balance when therapy has to change, have you considered a second opinion?  Carry on as best you can and let us know how we can help. 
Michelle

Thanks, A second opinion as to next therapy? I may be naive but my wife and I have complete faith in her oncologist. All of my and my wife's doctors have nothing but praise when they ask us who is her oncologist is. 

2 hours ago, Robert A. said:

Thanks, A second opinion as to next therapy? I may be naive but my wife and I have complete faith in her oncologist. All of my and my wife's doctors have nothing but praise when they ask us who is her oncologist is. 

Rower Michelle, I hope my comment wasn't ungrateful or rude. I re read it and can see where it might appear so. I meant no disrespect. I welcome your advice.

Actually, think of it as more of a consultation with an expert.  Lung cancer has become so specialized, particularly with mutations, there are therapy options available that a even the best general medical oncologist wouldn't necessarily come up with.   The Go2Foundation has the Lung Match program where they can tell you who the national leading experts are.  Several of my friends have used this service; one of them ended up in a clinical trial out of Kentucky which was deemed to be more promising than the proposed standard of care.  

Back in the "old days"  obtaining a second option meant there wasn't something quite right with the treating physician, today, it's a very different process of obtain an expert opinion to widen the treatment options for the best possible outcome.   

Michelle is right, it is now common practice to get new biomarker testing and seek a second opinion whenever there is progression or when a treatment change is contemplated. This is no disrespect to your wife's oncologist but rather to confirm that the proposed treatment is the best course or if another emerging treatment would be more effective. It's really difficult for our doctors to keep up with the fast-changing science. I will certainly get a second opinion when the time comes, even though I too feel that my own oncologist has been great. 

Archived