Two years since my mum was diagnosed

catlady91

I can't believe it's been two years since my mum has been diagnosed with stage IIIB squamous cell carcinoma NSCLC. It was an extremely dark time and I didn't know if my mum would have very long. She's currently NED and has been since August 2020. We went through some dark times like last year when they mistook inflammation for recurrence when it was pseudo progression. The PET scan showed activity whilst the CT scan showed absolutely nothing. 

Mum is doing well apart from age related non-cancer related health problems such as kidney stones and carpal tunnel- the recovery from the carpal tunnel surgery isn't as smooth as she would like. Apart from that, mum is very well and has a positive mindframe. Mum is active and does exercises every day.  

I'm so happy and lucky that she's doing so well. She has another scan in mid March. I pray to G*d that she's still clear. I think scanziety is normal. I have bad dreams about her seeing the doctor and the doctor says it's bad news. 

Anyway I'm trying to stay positive and focus on the positives.

2 minutes ago, BridgetO said:

Happy second cancerversary to your mum!

Hopefully there will be many more cancerversaries to celebrate 🥂. For my mum, you and others here. 

A great milestone for your Mom and I'm so glad to hear that she is till NED.  Yes, scanziety is real and we all seem to go through it.  I do feel bad for your Mom regarding the kidney stones though.  As a long-time sufferer I know how painful and dangerous they can be.  Fortunately it was a kidney stone CT Scan that allowed them to discover my LC at its early stage.  Remember to celebrate your mom's NED's,  they are worth the celebration...  

Lou

1 hour ago, LouT said:

A great milestone for your Mom and I'm so glad to hear that she is till NED.  Yes, scanziety is real and we all seem to go through it.  I do feel bad for your Mom regarding the kidney stones though.  As a long-time sufferer I know how painful and dangerous they can be.  Fortunately it was a kidney stone CT Scan that allowed them to discover my LC at its early stage.  Remember to celebrate your mom's NED's,  they are worth the celebration...  

Lou

I'm glad that the cancer was diagnosed early. My mum requested ab x-ray for her lungs because she had a very bad chest infection (could have been COVID actually as my brother was in China at the end of 2019). Thank G*d for the eagle eyed technician who spotted the shadow and wanted to investigate it further. Mum had no symptoms apart from getting out of breath when walking but she had it for years. 

Absolutely! I think it's important to celebrate how far she has come and how things have been positive for her. I just hope that there will be more celebrations to come 🎉🎉

Congratulations to your mom! Hope she feels better from her kidney stones and carpal tunnel recovery. My husband has been prone to kidney stones in the past, and that's a rough experience. Best of luck. 

Archived