Hello, everyone.

Guest TriciaR

Guest TriciaR

Hi, my name is Tricia. I was diagnosed with metastatic non-small cell carcinoma, or something like that, in 2/03. The tumor was located in the mediastinum, the area between the lungs, above the heart and below the trachea. It was all tangled up with lymph nodes and major blood vessels and so was inoperable. Multiple tests were performed to find the cancer of origin, but none was ever found, so by process of elimination, the docs thought it must be lung cancer, as the tumor was just millimeters from my right lung.

I was treated with 34 treatments of radiation simultaneously with chemo, which lasted about 6 months. It has now been 7 months since the last treatment and I am fairly recovered from the chemo. Now I need to learn about survival rates and strategies, etc. I am looking forward to learning more from this site.

Tricia

Hi Tricia, welcome. I 'll tell you if you survive than for you it is 100%. It is already over 1 year for you. Celebrate! Congradulations. Keep us posted on your check ups. Donna G

Welcome Tricia,

I am sorry to hear that you have had this horrible disease enter your life. But if you must experience this, I am glad you found this site. This is wonderful place of warmth, love, and knowledge.

Unfortunately the statistics on Lung Cancer are nowhere close to where we would like and pray that they will be. Being a one year survivor is something to celebrate as many of our lung cancer family do not make that milestone. However, there are many on the opposite side as well. We have people here who are surviving and having a FABULOUS life decades after diagnosis. For truly inspiring stories talk to DavidP or Connie and DaveG and Estrea and many many others.

We really do not like to talk about statistics here because they truly are not accurate and they are not personalized. They only serve to strip us of hope, and do not take into account our own unique circumstances. The statistics are based off of old data and treatment protocols that are 10 to 20 years old. People treated today are using different chemo and options than were available even 5 years ago. Statistics only look at averages and don't take into account age, health level, and tolerance to aggressive treatment. My husband has Atypical carcinoid. We were told his prognosis was 9 months. Well, its already been 11 months and he is doing fine. The difference is his type of cancer is generally diagnosed in people 60-70 years old. Keith is 32 and strong and otherwise healthy. He is determined to fight this with the most aggressive treatments and he can tolerate them well. The other point is that he has me and his family as advocates. He has all the people here as advocates. The result is that we are aware of the newest treatment options and are willing to go anywhere to try them and do anything. We are hopeful that this can be beat.

Please, know that you are welcome to our family and we are here to support you and help all we can. You are now part of something wonderful, a society of strangers that truly love one another.

Please share with us more, let us know how you are doing. Where are you at as far as your last scans. Is your cancer stable or progressing? Have you acheived remission?

I will be keeping you in my prayers.

Carleen

Hey Tricia.

Welcome. I'm working on 27 years post surgery, and it's almost like it never even happened anymore. I work hard at staying healthy and in shape, and would recommend the same for anyone in recovery. And like Donna said... your survival rate is 100 %, so enjoy, but be dilligent in follow ups with your tests...just in case. Take care.

David P.

Hi Tricia,

I just wanted to ditto what everyone else has told you.In one month I too will be a one year survivor of this rotten disease.

I also want you to know that even though I haven't posted alot I have recieved the greatest amount of inspiration and information from the wonderful and caring people in this family.

Keep the faith and congrats on one year out and many,many more to follow.

Welcome Tricia,

So glad you have a year under your belt. Now go for two, then three, etc.

Don't look at statistics. Go with how you are. Enjoy everyday as much as possible.

This is a great place for knowledge and friendship and support. Whatever anyone asks, there is always someone who seems to have the answer from experience.