When it Rains It Pours-Update-Not Great News

kimblanchard

Well folks I haven't posted about myself for quite a while but so much has changed I thought I had better post an update.

I had a bone scan several months ago and found out at that time that I had several bone mets. To say I was upset would be an understatement. However my Onc said if any of them were painful they could use radiation and if not the chemo should take care of them. I was doing fine until the beginning of February when I started to have a lot of pain in my lower back and in my left leg. At that point they said its now time for radiation, I had to stop the chemo and got 14 radiation treatments to lower spine. Of course I knew the chemo was not working any longer. After finishing the radiation I had a CT scan and it showed that the tumor in my lung had grown and the mets in the liver had also grown so it was time to change chemos. I am now on Vincristine, Cytoxan and Andriamycin. I know that this is an old chemo regime but since I have been treated with the other first line chemo drugs for SCLC the oncologist thought this treatment might be a good one to try now.

I had the treatment a week and a half ago and wow it was brutal. I was extremely lucky with the other chemos I was on but this one has really knocked me flat. Just feel like the bottom of the barrel, exhausted, queasy, etc, etc. After my next treatment on 3/17 we will do another CT scan to see if it is working. I am hoping and praying that it is as I don't have many choices left. The onc mentioned Topotecan as another one to try but one thing at a time. I am just starting to feel like myself and it took 10 days to get here.

Okay now for the Pouring rain part, my poor dear husband who is always here to take care of me and is just the best man who ever lived is now in the hospital. He thought he had a stomach virus but the pain just kept getting worse so he went to the ER on Thursday night. He was admitted and had surgery yesterday morning for an inestinal blockage and is still in the hospital. I have always been by his side 24/7 during any illness he has had but this time I can't even go into the hospital. My white BC is so low right now that my doctor won't let me near the place, she said there is just too much risk of me picking up an infection. They have me on Cipro as a precaution and I got a shot for the white BC but it hasn't kicked in yet. He is doing pretty well since the surgery but it will be a while before they will release him barring any complications. Thank God I have wonderful kids who are there with him.

Sorry this is so long, but thats what happens when you don't post, my own fault! I would like to ask for some prayers for my husband that he gets home soon.

Bess B

Bess,

Sorry to hear the storm clouds have been gathering. I'm hoping and praying the new chemo does the trick for you.

I had an intestinal blockage many years ago and STILL remember the pain vividly! I'm glad your husband got in and got it taken care of. More prayers for a swift recovery.

Dean

Dear Bess,

Really big prayers that this chemo combo works for you. It only seems fair that if the chemo makes you so da** sick, it should kill those bad cells.

Hope your husband gets home soon and back on his feet.

It really does seem that bad news never comes alone, always in multiples.

Ginny

Bess, glad you posted. Sorry your husband had his trouble in the middle of yours. Lucie and I can understand the frustration of a caregiver being ill. While Lucie was in and out of the hospital and undergoing treatment for the lung cancer, my daughter, who normally would be a caregiver broke a leg and wound up in the hospital twice for blood clots on the lungs. It was frustrating for them both that they could not be there for each other. Hope soon there are better days for both of you. Don

Sorry to hear about your rainstorm! I know it's hard, hang in there. The sun will shine soon. You are very fortunate you got him to the hospital in time, those blockages can be very dangerous.

I'll be thinking of you while I am living with my mother... (long story it's in another post).

Rochelle

Oh Bess,

I am SOOOOO SOOOOOO SORRY to hear all this is going on with you! Shame on your for NOT confiding in us sooner about your mets. :wink: That's what we're here for my dear. I'm sure your wonderful, dear hubby will be just fine and home in NO TIME! A friend of mine had to under go that surgery as well a few years ago, and he came through it just FINE! You are BOTH in my thoughts and prayers my friend.

I'm going to wish for you and your hubby some SUNNY DAYS!!! Bess, you need to take care of YOU right now. OKAY???? OKAY!!!!

Bess,

So sorry to read about your husband. Sure hope he has one SPEEDY recovery and comes home soon. No fresh flowers when he does...until your WBC's are back up!

Your new chemo drugs are some of those my Dad was on in 1983...tough to take but helped give him 20 years...wishing double that for you!

All the best,

Lynn

Bess, I am sorry that you are going through such a hard time. Your husband will be fine and he will be taken care by the medical staff and your kids.

Please do take more rest and eat more food to get enough energy. I am so sorry for you had the recurrence. Hope the CAV chemo works effectively on the tumors. Don't be shy not to tell us what you need us to do for you. Post always......I will pray for you.

Dear Bess,

I am so sorry to hear about all the problems that have been happening to you. Life seems to throw us so many curves and it is so hard to understand why.

I am praying that your new chemo regime kills all the cancer cells and doesn't continue to be so hard on you. I am also praying for your husband and that he has a quick recovery.

I am sending hugs to you.

Bess, thank you for the update, and here's to hoping that the skies clear, your husband returns home to you soon, and that your new chemo does the trick! Take care, and keep us posted whenever you can. In the meantime, just know that we do think of you and you are in my thoughts and prayers. Deb