Tell me your stories

Kelvin4426

Hi guys so my mom had a ct scan 2 weeks ago found a mass in her right lung had a biopsy yesterday now waiting for results which is killing me. I just want to know your guys cancer stpries to get me prepared . Mom is 63 years old fairly healthy and a non smoker 

Hi Kelvin,

Hi Kelvin,
Sorry you are having to find yourself here, but you’ve come to a great forum. You will find many different versions of lung cancer stories on this site. The most important thing you need to know is that IF it turns out to be a lung cancer, do not run to Google. The last 5-10 years has massively changes the outlook for lung cancer has changed dramatically due to the development of new treatments. So online statistics are not reflective of our experience.

The coming weeks will be tough. The wait for biopsy results may be quite long, as the samples (if malignant) will be tested for bio markers and mutations. This is critical as it will guide the medical team as to what type of treatment is appropriate. Newer treatments, such as immunotherapy and targeted treatments are specific to these bio markers and mutations. So although a long wait, it is worth it.

Just on a personal note, I was diagnosed last year at 49 with stage 4 non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). I am on immunotherapy and have been through a radical radiation regimen. I have had a few poor weeks (mainly feeling fatigued, and a few minor niggles as side effects, but other than the mental strain of going from a never-sick person to being a long-term patient, I am living a normal life. 

I am sure others will fill in, but just wanted to kick off with a friendly welcome from someone who has gone through this recently. Let us know how it goes and don’t hesitate to come back with questions as you go.

Rikke

3 hours ago, RJN said:

Hi Kelvin,

Hi Kelvin,
Sorry you are having to find yourself here, but you’ve come to a great forum. You will find many different versions of lung cancer stories on this site. The most important thing you need to know is that IF it turns out to be a lung cancer, do not run to Google. The last 5-10 years has massively changes the outlook for lung cancer has changed dramatically due to the development of new treatments. So online statistics are not reflective of our experience.

The coming weeks will be tough. The wait for biopsy results may be quite long, as the samples (if malignant) will be tested for bio markers and mutations. This is critical as it will guide the medical team as to what type of treatment is appropriate. Newer treatments, such as immunotherapy and targeted treatments are specific to these bio markers and mutations. So although a long wait, it is worth it.

Just on a personal note, I was diagnosed last year at 49 with stage 4 non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). I am on immunotherapy and have been through a radical radiation regimen. I have had a few poor weeks (mainly feeling fatigued, and a few minor niggles as side effects, but other than the mental strain of going from a never-sick person to being a long-term patient, I am living a normal life. 

I am sure others will fill in, but just wanted to kick off with a friendly welcome from someone who has gone through this recently. Let us know how it goes and don’t hesitate to come back with questions as you go.

Rikke

May I ask what your symptoms were before you found out u had cancer 

My symptoms were fairly vague. I had a niggling light cough for a couple of months - more like an irritation in my throat really. And I noticed that I was got a bit fatigued/short of breath when playing golf or swimming long distance. But of course, after more than a year’s lockdown, I thought I was just out of shape. The final straw was noticing that my thumb nails looked strangely rounded. Looked it up as I thought I might have a vitamin deficiency, and it pointed to potential lung issues associated with nail deformity. When I mentioned these symptoms, my GP sent me straight off to an x-ray, and the ball rolled from there.

P.s. I just realised that this subgroup isn’t read often. Perhaps you can post your next post in the “Introduce yourself” section, as you are likely to get more response there. 

13 hours ago, RJN said:

My symptoms were fairly vague. I had a niggling light cough for a couple of months - more like an irritation in my throat really. And I noticed that I was got a bit fatigued/short of breath when playing golf or swimming long distance. But of course, after more than a year’s lockdown, I thought I was just out of shape. The final straw was noticing that my thumb nails looked strangely rounded. Looked it up as I thought I might have a vitamin deficiency, and it pointed to potential lung issues associated with nail deformity. When I mentioned these symptoms, my GP sent me straight off to an x-ray, and the ball rolled from there.

Ahh ic thanks for letting me know will post on there too. Thanks for the heads up!

Hi kelvin 

I hope you all get some good news and everything works out well, I actually didn't have any symptoms before Diagnosis apart from a pain in my left side of chest as it turned out the cancer is in my right upper lung so I was obviously lucky I was sent for an xray,  I've recently had gamma knife radiosurgery for 2 brain mets and have to wait 3 months for a scan to see the results, hopefully everything will be good for your mom 

Take care Justin