What are your thoughts on my mom's ct scan

Kelvin4426

Hi guys my mom had a ct scan about 3 weeks ago and the only information I know of that it's about 6cm long  horizontal and maybe 2cm vertically so it looks more like a stick than a circle. About in the middle of the right side of the lungs just under the right lower lobe. She had her biopsy 2 days ago so waiting for results. Just want to see if anyone had something similar. Mom is 63 non smoker about 125lb only symptom is a cough that won't go away. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the ct scan on here so I won't thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi - just wanted to respond to your note to see what the results of your mom’s biopsy was. Hoping everything is going ok.

1 minute ago, Daria said:

Hi - just wanted to respond to your note to see what the results of your mom’s biopsy was. Hoping everything is going ok.

Hi thanks for the concern. Unfortunately my mom got cancer :( stage 3b she hasn't started treatment hopefully soon has an appointment on friday

I’m so sorry to hear this, but please don’t lose hope. There are so many new treatment options available now for lung cancer, it’s amazing how far we’ve come. Lung cancer is no longer a death sentence but can sometimes be considered a chronic illness. This is a very difficult and confusing time for your family. Please encourage your mom to seek support, this group has amazing people that can help navigate the road ahead. I hope you too take advantage of the support offered here. You are not alone, we are in this together. 

8 minutes ago, Daria said:

I’m so sorry to hear this, but please don’t lose hope. There are so many new treatment options available now for lung cancer, it’s amazing how far we’ve come. Lung cancer is no longer a death sentence but can sometimes be considered a chronic illness. This is a very difficult and confusing time for your family. Please encourage your mom to seek support, this group has amazing people that can help navigate the road ahead. I hope you too take advantage of the support offered here. You are not alone, we are in this together. 

Thanksnyou so much! I saw that ur a patient/survivor may I ask whatbyourbstory is?

My lung cancer was found accidentally. I was having chest pain and thought I might be having heart issues so I went to the emergency room. Tests were done that ruled out heart attack but a 2 cm nodule was found on my upper left lobe. Luckily, there was no spread and I was able to have surgery. I was extremely lucky to have found the cancer so early - this is not often the case. 

As I type this, I’m with a small group of lung cancer survivors. All are stage 4 and have been doing well on treatment for years (one woman I met is in her 18th year).  As one person said, if you have to have lung cancer, now is a good time because there are so many new treatment options available. 

Your mom is lucky to have you. I hope you take good care of yourself and continue to reach out for support. You aren’t alone! 

59 minutes ago, Daria said:

My lung cancer was found accidentally. I was having chest pain and thought I might be having heart issues so I went to the emergency room. Tests were done that ruled out heart attack but a 2 cm nodule was found on my upper left lobe. Luckily, there was no spread and I was able to have surgery. I was extremely lucky to have found the cancer so early - this is not often the case. 

As I type this, I’m with a small group of lung cancer survivors. All are stage 4 and have been doing well on treatment for years (one woman I met is in her 18th year).  As one person said, if you have to have lung cancer, now is a good time because there are so many new treatment options available. 

Your mom is lucky to have you. I hope you take good care of yourself and continue to reach out for support. You aren’t alone! 

Thanks so much words like these always puts me jn a better mood. I'm glad yours was caught early

Hi kelvin 

Sorry to here your mum has cancer and your all having to go on this journey, try and stay strong and positive for her through this, I know it's difficult but that's what my family are doing for me and it really does help,once the treatment starts hopefully you will all feel a little better because something is being done,we all go through the same emotions and get scared but as others have said the treatments now are much better and the survivor stories are really good for lifting your spirits, I hope you get some good news soon all the best

Take care Justin 

My mom's somewhat got her treatment plan of chemo and radiation as it is standard still waiting is there's any biomarkers radiologist says good chance as she's a non smoker Asian woman. My question is she still has to get a test for an mri to the brain to see if it spread radiologist says unlikely as my mom is 3b right but still need to check before treatment. Anyone else with 3b get cancer cells in the brain or is it something I don't have to worry too much about

Hi Kelvin,

As your mum’s doctor says, it is unlikely, but it happens. I had a brain MRI as well (and I am stage 4) and nothing was found. IF there is something there, they can likely blast that too (our friend Justin has just been through this). But the best we can all do is take a deep breath and take one step at a time. Living with this diagnosis since August last year, I have learnt that worrying about what might come is no way to live. Encourage your mum to live her life and fight when she has to.

Hoping for the best for you, Rikke

Hi was wondering is the goal for chemoraditaion at stage 3b to cure or is it to reduce symptoms my mom starts chemoradition and just wondering if it is curable at 3b

@Kelvin4426

my dad is 62 and is starting 3b treatment in a few weeks or so. They said they are doing chemo radiation to cure it.

I am also from Vancouver and my dad is getting treated at bc cancer agency on 10th.

Goodluck to ur dad my mom  is 63 so similar in age. Have they come back with results gor biomarkers for your dad? Wonder if they have the same oncologists haha

I am new to this disease but from all my reading, cure is not a term that many will use. People aim for NED (no evidence of disease) and long term survival/remission. I have read about cases diagnosed very early progressing badly and advanced cases  responding so well to treatment defying terrible statistics so this disease seems hard to predict.  

They told me I have stage 3b after saying stage 1 then stage 2. I had surgery and they said it was "curative". However, pathology finding a much larger tumour than what both PET and CT imaging measured makes me very weary of the limitations of imaging (let alone microscopic occult cancer). Also, despite clear margins, I had one node positive which complicates matters and is considered bad news. A number of medical professionals continue to tell me my cancer is still curable but I don't like to think that way anymore as I cannot take another shock. I hope I will have NED and will remain vigilant forever if I survive. Keep thinking positive (I struggle with that) as no one on earth can tell us, patients, what will actually happen. Each body is different, each cancer is different and each response to each medication is different. I am hoping for the best outcome and praying to be on the surviving side. 

13 minutes ago, LilyMir said:

I am new to this disease but from all my reading, cure is not a term that many will use. People aim for NED (no evidence of disease) and long term survival/remission. I have read about cases diagnosed very early progressing badly and advanced cases  responding so well to treatment defying terrible statistics so this disease seems hard to predict.  

They told me I have stage 3b after saying stage 1 then stage 2. I had surgery and they said it was "curative". However, pathology finding a much larger tumour than what both PET and CT imaging measured makes me very weary of the limitations of imaging (let alone microscopic occult cancer). Also, despite clear margins, I had one node positive which complicates matters and is considered bad news. A number of medical professionals continue to tell me my cancer is still curable but I don't like to think that way anymore as I cannot take another shock. I hope I will have NED and will remain vigilant forever if I survive. Keep thinking positive (I struggle with that) as no one on earth can tell us, patients, what will actually happen. Each body is different, each cancer is different and each response to each medication is different. I am hoping for the best outcome and praying to be on the surviving side. 

Thanks lily hope all is well. I've met with the radiologist at bc cancer and he was great and was confident in saying she will live long which made me more at ease through this journey

Lily is right, "cure" is not generally a term used in connection with Stages 3 and 4. Management of a chronic disease (like diabetes) is more the goal, and many people can do well for years these days.

I'm 68 and Stage IIIB, had chemo and radiation first before starting a targeted therapy in March 2020. I've been NED for a year now but I don't consider myself cured. 

I can't stress enough that statistics should be disregarded. I personally pay no attention to them. As my oncologist says, I'm an individual and not a number. 

Lily,

Welcome here. Well said--hoping but remaining vigilant. Patience and persistence are necessary virtues to besting this disease. Lily, you might recall your study of differential equations and by contrast difference equations. Our recurrence model, expressed mathematically, may be similar in form to a first order nonlinear autonomous recurrent equation. For those who want a deeper understanding of words (not math) we use to discuss treatment outcomes, read this.

Lung cancer is so dangerous because of its frequency of recurrence. What is that frequency? This study may be dated but I've seen nothing recently on the topic.

Stay the course.

Tom