pain after radiation

mini george

hi everyone,thanks for the prayers and good vibes :D i got from the post i made in the good news section.i was wondering if anyone had any trouble with pain after radiation or chemo treatments (three months)in my case after my left side pneumonectomy.the pain came back almost as strong as just after surgery.i am now taking more pain meds than before.

doctors orders. any thoughts on this.thanks

mini george

Sorry to hear about your pain. My father had 20 radiation treatment for bone mets to the lumbar spine area. He is still having pain. Pain meds aren't working. Started morphine today to see if this helps. Xray was taken to see if there was a bone fracture, but there was not. Radiologist says that the radiation doesn't cause pain, but I told him I disagree. He wants to do more radiation to the area, this time IMRT. We have to wait and see what the CT scans of the area say on Wed. In the meantime, I hope the morphine helps the pain, it is really bad. I have no faith in these doctors anymore. I hope they know what they are doing.

I can say that after my surgery, the pain finally started to subside, but in the middle of my follow up radiation/chemo treatments, my pain did increase in the surgical area. Every morning I would wake up feeling "stiff", like I had a shoe box jammed in my side, under my arm and my lung seemed stiff too -- like it didn't want to expand all the way. It felt just like it did right after surgery...

Good news is, it did subside when treatment ended and I hope the same holds true for you!

Heather

i did forget to mention that i was getting strong meds before radiation

because the surgery also included a broken rib to get the lung out :roll: but i didn't aggravate it any more by falling or anything since then.the new pain seems to have came out nowhere but also in the same location.an area where my lung was before.

mini george

MiniGeorge,

My physical therapist used to refer to radiation as the gift that keeps on giving and giving and giving.....

The radiation damage heals itself in healthy tissues by making a kind of fibrous tissue, which is less elastic than the normal muscle and stuff. If you let it heal without the stretching and dexterity exercises, it will start to draw tighter and tighter, and can become really uncomfortable.

Throw that in on top of a surgical site........

Just my two cents worth. Exercise helps. Pain meds help.

Normal just ain't gonna happen, in my experience.

Good luck,

XOXOX

MaryAnn

hi everyone,thanks for your input.i had to go see my surgeon for a checkup.he said that is likely that the radiation has weakend the strength

of the meds i am taking so he ordered a pain block to be done.it freezes

the precise area where the pain is coming from.this is done by an anestheseologist,whom i will be speaking to this week hopefully.then i won't be walking around in a fog from the strong meds i am taking now.

thank's. mini george