RVAT lobectomy recovery timeline

I had a RVAT lobectomy 30 days ago, and I am still having internal and external pain. Is this normal? 

Also, I am still weak and want to stay in bed. Is this normal?

Two weeks ago, I was walking 2 miles a day, and then the pain and weakness returned.

JoanW

Joan,

Welcome to our forum and I'm glad you found us, but sorry you need to be here.  I wrote a blog titled "Tips and Tricks for Thoracic Surgery" and it can be found here.  In the meantime I can tell you that as you heal there are some ups and downs.  But, since you were feeling better a couple of weeks ago, my first counsel would be to contact your doctor about these symptoms.  Was the weakness and pain sudden or was it gradual?  You need to share that all with your medical team as thoracic surgery comes with its own set of post-surgery complications including; pain, numbness, spasms and a lot of difficulty getting your breath.

I don't know what you have been doing but 2 miles/day was very good.  Are you also using the spirometer you were given.  It does help to clear and strengthen the lungs as well as getting your muscles used to deep breathing.  I would also say that you need to be taking any of the pain medicines your doctor prescribed for you.  Pain can be a real inhibitor to breathing properly.   While these things may seem basic we can sometimes overlook these things after surgery.  Again, my best advice right now is to contact your surgeon.  Please keep posting and update us as you progress.

Lou

Hi Joan and welcome here! I'm sorry to hear about your continuing pain and weakness. I agree with Lou that a return of pain and weakness is unusual and that you should talk to your surgeon about it. Hang in there and keep us posted.

Bridget O