Father diagnosed with adenocarinoma possibly stage 3

Salem

Still waiting on the genes to come back to know more but this is what they confirmed thus far. 

What is the outlook for this type of cancer? They could not find a nodule in the lungs but found adenocarcinoma associated with lc in 2 lymph nodes. I thought this would be associated with a better prognosis but since it’s in the lymph system apparently it doesn’t make a difference.

Was told it’s not curable at stage 3 but am wondering if it is possible to maintain it and for how long is the maximum before I can go to stage 4 or is it guaranteed to get there eventually?

Microscopic Description
Immunohistochemical stains were performed on block A2 with adequate
controls for CK AB1/AE3 ,
CD45.
CD3.
CD20,
CK7, CK20,
TTF-1.
Napsin-A, p40,
S100,
CDX2
GATA3.
PAX&
and
synaptophysin.
The tumor
cells are positive
for
CK AE1/AE3,
CK7, TTF-1,
and Napsin-A.
The tumor cells are negative for
all
other markers

Cytologic evaluation shows large discohesive tumor cells that are positive
for CK AE1 / 3,
CK7,
with variable positivity for TTF-1 and focal positivity
for Napsin-A. The tumor cells are negative for p40 and synaptophysin. All
other markers tested are negative.
These findings favour
diagnosis
of
metastatic non-small
cell adenocarcinoma of lung primary origin. Clinical
and radiographic correlation are recommended.

Hi Salem, I was diagnosed at Stage IIIB adenocarcinoma in October 2019 when I was 66. I had a 6 cm tumor in my lower left lung with spread to lymph nodes. I was not a candidate for surgery. I had chemo and chest radiation and then started a targeted therapy for my particular gene mutation in March 2020. I slowly improved over the next year and became NED (No Evidence of Disease) last April. 

The results of your father's biomarker testing will determine his treatment plan. Unfortunately, that testing takes time but is vital. 

Everyone is different, and it's impossible to say how your father may respond to his particular treatment(s), what side effects he might have or how long he can avoid progression. The question of time is one we all have to live with and that many people worry about. I'm NED today but I don't know how long that will last. I also don't know if I'll be hit by a bus tomorrow. I am able to live one day at a time. 

I can say that there are many people with Stage IV lung cancer who are alive and thriving today when just a few years ago, there would have been no hope. We are fortunate to have treatment options that can provide a good quality of life. 

@Judy M2

Thank you for sharing your journey. At this point we are gonna hope for the best and that his bio markers are promising and there is no brain Mets and we will go from there. I see the 5 year survival is a coin toss with recent improvements almost but we are hoping for the best.

Once a patient passes the 5 year survival rate does it look better for 10 years or does it not make a different? Also are there any cases of people staying NED. I am still quite young which is why I am more concerned about my father’s longevity.

I hope you're not reading statistics from Dr. Google, they are really out of date. And as my oncologist says, we are individuals and not statistics. I'm sorry I can't answer your questions about survival rates, I don't pay much attention to them for myself. But I do know of people on targeted therapy who are several years out (8-12 years) from their diagnosis. Once your father gets his biomarker test results back, his oncologist should be able to explain the treatment plan and what the side effects might be. You'll meet people in this forum who have had recurrences and had different types of treatments. Many of us have hope that our disease can be managed as a chronic condition like diabetes for as long as possible. 

Hi Salem

Sorry to here your news it's very difficult to get your head round it all but it does get easier I promise, I was diagnosed last August with stage 3 lung cancer and lymph nodes I had chemotherapy and radiotherapy which shrunk the cancer but unfortunately I had seizure in February which showed 2 brain mets which I have had gamma knife radiosurgery done on,so now I am stage 4, try not to give up all hope and don't read the stats online there really is a  lot of great survival stories out there, I'm only 51 years old married with 4 children the youngest is 19 so we know how you are all feeling try and stay strong and positive, thinking about you all 

Take care Justin 

Salem,

I was diagnosed in February 2004 with stage IIIB NSCLC squamous cell. Here is my abbreviated diagnosis and treatment history. The most important take away from my experience is if I can live, so can your father.

Stay the course.

Tom

Salem, 

At the very start of my cancer road, I looked for statistics and freaked out at some of the things I found. That’s when my husband reminded me that I also had a chance of dying by being hit by a bus. That may seem like an unsympathetic response, but he was making  a valid point: there’s simply no way to predict the future. This is especially true of a disease where discoveries are made literally every day. I like to focus on that. 

My best to you and yours. 

Hi Salem,

I don't like when the medical community says something is not curable. I choose not to believe that and its so much better that way. Who know what treatments will be available with research? I never give up hoping for a treatment.

Hard to answer your questions yet as you don't have results of the biomarker testing. 

So glad you found our Lungevity community.

Best,

Ro