hip fracture

Hello, I was wondering if anyone on this board has had a family member with advanced stage LC break a hip? My grandmother that I posted on last week in the topic entitled "nursing homes" fell and broke her hip yesterday. They plan on operating on her today to put 3 pins in. First, I am amazed that they think she is a candidate for surgery. She is so weak and fatigued, she is not able to stand on her own, not even able to stand with assistance--basically you have to use all your strength to hold her up long enough to get her from a chair to the bed. She also is on oxygen for breathing difficulties. She's barely eating. How can someone in her condition withstand the trauma of surgery?

Second, how will she be able to heal from this? She has basically been pretty much chair ridden/bed-ridden for the past 6-7 weeks. Once she is post-op, I am assuming that she will be completely bed-ridden, and not able to do physical therapy at all (there have been a couple failed attempts to do physical therapy with her the past few weeks -- she's just too weak). Will she be able to heal from the surgery? What do you guys think? Anybody else been through this?

I have visions of her being heavily sedated to keep her from trying to get out of the bed; it was when she was trying to get up to go to the bathroom that she fell. And that was the 3rd time she has fallen in the past 6 weeks. She has mets to the brain and forgets she's supposed to ring for the nurse.

By the way, thanks so much for the responses to my nursing homes message. I would like to post more on these boards, and maybe respond to some messages as well, but I usually am at work and don't have a lot of time to post. Thanks again.

Dee

• 2 weeks later...

My mom fractured her hip on Friday while we were walking into a restaurant--no fall at all. I was told the only way to repair this is via surgery. She underwent surgery on Saturday and began walking on Wednesday. A doc told me that the glue alone they use to install the post is strong enough to hold one up. My mom is only 55, so I believe your concerns for sugery on your grandma are warrented. I will keep her in my prayers. Feel free to email me.

Sandra