Introducing Myself

GBJ

Hi to All. This is Gautham from India (you can pronounce as Gotham as in Gotham City).

Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you get. These words surely ring true in my case, except that the chocolates are not nice. Having spent all my life working hard to provide for my family, I never anticipated life will give me these many hardships in the last 6 years. Six years ago, my daughter was diagnosed with a leukemia (ALL), right after I moved to India from the US/Boston. Having fought the illness with her over the last few years both mentally, emotionally, and financially, I thought good times were ahead. Seeing my daughter grow up (she is 12 now) is the most beautiful thing in my life. She is what they call here "cured".

Unfortunately, hardship has now struck twice. I have now been diagnosed with Lung Cancer (NSCLC) with PDL-1+, Stage IV adenocarcinoma. Just a routine check-up with no specific symptoms, my life turned upside down in a matter of 2 weeks. I was feeling some breathlessness while climbing 4 flight of stairs (just general discomfort). It was for 1 month and I attributed it to after effect of the Omicron Virus.

A routine X-ray showed massive fluid build up in the left lung (pleural effusion). A visit to the pulmonologist and the doc suggested thoracotomy. Fluid was drained out (about 4L) and tissue sent for biopsy. This was the last week of February 2022. The tissue sample was found to be malignant. Since then moved to a specialized Cancer center here in India and additional marker testing/PET scan revealed Stage IV. All mutations negative, except PDL-1.

Was a light smoker on and off for a few years. Always thought cancer was a old-age disease. I am only 44 and have two kids, 12 and 8 yrs old. So the diagnosis was shocking to say the least.

Since surgery was not the recommended option, I have now completed 4 rounds of chemo (Alimta and Carboplatin) and 3 rounds of immuonotherapy (Keytruda). Health wise doing fine (able to walk 3 miles each day), but mentally yet to accept the diagnosis. You always think of what happens to the family after!!!. Don't know how many infusions are required to beat this.

Looked at support groups and loved this one. Hoping to fight the disease.

Gautham,

I’m so glad to hear your daughter is considered cured. I, too, have a daughter who’s been cured of lymphoma. While her treatment was awful, it taught me essential lessons in how to effectively navigate the cancer medical establishment. 

It also sounds like your medical care is on track. I don’t know if you’ve had biomarker testing? 

Oh, how I relate to your comment about not accepting the diagnosis, even after being in treatment. I never smoked and regularly exercised— how on earth did I get lung cancer? Every once in a while, I’d stop in my tracks and say “I have what?” It took me quite a while to process and integrate the tsunami of information and experiences. 

I began weekly meetings with a counselor early on; I think it made a significant difference in the acceptance process. Perhaps you’d consider this?

I’m sorry you need to be here, but I’ve found this to be a solid support community. I hope you do, too.

Karen

Hi gautham 

Brilliant news about your daughter I'm so pleased for you all but really sorry to here your terrible news and totally understand how your feeling I think we all go through this stage when we get the dreadful diagnosis, when I got diagnosed I was devastated as was my family,  it will get easier but please stay positive and strong for yourself and your family

All the best

Take care Justin 

Thanks Karen and Justin for your support and good words.

I have my good days and bad. I hope it gets easier.

I had the biomarker testing done. All negative (EGFR/ALK/ROS etc). Only PDL1 was positive hence doctor advised immunotherapy.

Was wondering how long will the combo therapy continue.

Hi Gautham,

Awesome that your daughter got her health back! So sorry you have to deal with this disease now but glad you are here for support. I too recently found about my lung cancer incidentally, in fact they missed telling me for years despite it being caught back in 2018 on a scan by chance. I felt/feel all sorts of emotions from maddening anger to deep sadness but learning fast to stick to hope. There are many long time survivors here so I try to just focus on trying to be one of them. Your young age means you have better chances to do well so focus on that. Believe me I know the anguish, I have a 6 year old and cannot help panicking at times but I pull myself back to hope since I cannot live with despair. I worked so hard for so long and was just starting to enjoy life when I was diagnosed so it felt like life was giving me a slap on the face and I was stunned. I try to now focus on how lucky I am to have caught the disease before it became worse, received treatment, have family support, and found new friends who understand what I am going through on this forum. Hope your treatment gets you to NED soon! Treatments for lung cancer advanced over the past 5 years more than it did the 50 years prior. Stick to hope.

Hi Gautham,

Just chiming in here as well.  My husband received a diagnosis this year that sounds similar to yours, age 45, two teenagers.  He has just had his 5th round this week of Alimta/Carboplatin/Keytruda.  The scan results show that this is working to reduce the cancer.  I believe he will have one more of the same and then they may change the meds but am not sure to what exactly.

I understand the shock of it all, I do think it can be helpful to know that you are not alone and find others in the same situation sometimes.  I find reading other's positive stories is very helpful.  

Gautham,

Welcome here.

Sometimes there are good chocolates in the box and one is fortunate to enjoy them. Indeed one never knows what future life challenges will be encountered. But, and thankfully, these days we know a great deal more about treating lung cancer and your immunotherapy treatment, Keytruda, is a very effective method indeed. I know so many survivors with Stage IV diagnosis who've had Keytruda and are now no evidence of disease (NED), our gold standard of therapy.

Keyturda is so effective, folks are even moving away from need for the drug after the immune system becomes trained. @Lisa Haines is one of those folks. There are many more.

Stay the course.

Tom

14 hours ago, GBJ said:

Was wondering how long will the combo therapy continue.

That's a great question for your doctor. I hope you will quietly and insistently ask it until you are satisfied you have all the information you need.  Your question is a great segue into a discussion of the trajectory your doctor sees for you.

Karen

We're rooting for you! A lung cancer diagnosis is a shock to the system but it's not a death sentence anymore! Advances in treatment have come a long way and are getting even better! Being in good health other than having lung cancer certainly helps. It's great that you can walk three miles every day- I'm 30 and don't walk that far everyday! Stay positive and look to the future!