Survival odds?

Healthobsessed

Hi all. I have a question.

If you would have lung cancer with brain mets at the age of 22. What would be the odds of surviving a long time? Would the age be a good point? Would it raise the odds of having a treatable mutation?

Also. If you have symptoms (like headaches and a slight cough) vs when you don’t have any symptoms. Would that also make a difference in prognosis? I’m a fit guy who likes to run a lot.

Been having a cough for roughly 3,5 years (its a cough that goes away when sleeping and lingers during the day but is more like a throat clearing sound and sometimes a tickle which i try to cough away) when i lay down and relax it often subsides. Developed a pressing headache a couple weeks ago around my right temple. Its on and off everyday. I can do all my daily activities it’s just annoying.

Never had an xray. Had several bloodworks and stethoscope listenings of the lungs and everything was always fine. I smoked 2-3 years only then i quit. I posted something before but I would really like to know what the prognosis could be. Could i have this lung cancer and now brain mets after all these years on my age? if so, would that likely be NSCLC or SCLC? Never really got further scans because it wasn’t that bad and the doctor didn’t worry too much. The cough actually got better after i quit smoking but never went away completely. Also it hasn’t developed in these years, no shortness of breath and also no wheezing when i breathe through my mouth. Sometimes a bit hoarse, then if i cough slightly that disappears. Could it be there so long and not develop? Share your insights please

Thanks.

Please insist on a chest Xray or CT scan to determine whether you have something to be concerned about. Without one, it's just a guessing game. 

Your persistent cough and hoarseness could be acid reflux or even allergies, both of which are easily treatable. 

I hope you'll get a scan or Xray soon. This is the first step for all of us and is the only way to diagnose lung cancer, if you have it. And of you don't have it, your mind will be put at ease. 

It's unlikely that, without treatment, you would go for 3+ years and not have worsening symptoms of lung cancer. I understand the worry, but try not to get ahead of yourself. Even after a diagnosis, it can take weeks for a treatment plan to be developed, and that waiting period can test one's patience. I really hope you get a clear report. 

I don't know if there is an answer to your question but anecdotally, I had a tumour in one lung for over 4 years (at least) and had no symptoms until last year. Even then symptoms were so vague, occasional and minor (nasal drip, cough, fatigue, back discomfort, chest discomfort).

How I know the tumour was there for a long while is that after my incidental diagnosis this year, radiology revisited a scan I had in 2018 and the tumour was already there, at 1.5 cm already (less than half what it was this year though, sadly). So in my case, I had a large tumor that seemed to have grown slowly over years with minimal symptoms. Doctors ignored my symptoms and chalked it on hormone fluctuations, anxiety, allergies etc. This resulted in me having progression to stage 3, a lobectomy and needing long term adjuvant therapy since the cancer spread to one lymph node and grew quite a bit.

Health anxiety is a terrible thing. Do not be afraid to get properly checked up and do not let doctors ignore your symptoms. Catching any lung cancer early is the best thing one can do since cure chances are high in early stages, and deteriorate with time. Hopefully you have nothing to worry about.

@LilyMirthank you so much for the reply. I understand your story, cancer sucks. I am afraid to have it and now have brain mets because of the other symptoms.

The thing is that i developed the slight cough in 2018 and it actually became better over time. Never went away completely but got better. Yes, i could talk to my GP and explain my worries and i will.

It would be weird if i had this for almost 4 years without any worsening symptoms (not even shortness of breath). I am really scared. Do you have an idea if age would favor a treatment for lung cancer with brain mets? (Higher chance for mutation, overall health etc.) I read that if you get lung cancer so young, chances are high that its caused by a “treatable” mutation as EGFR or ALK.

As I read, young age is associated with improved survival in a general sense in NSCLC. Younger  people, women, non smokers tend to have a mutation, often EGFR. Treatments however are much better now, for any lung cancer, than they ever were so all kind of patients have hope. A key issue is to catch any cancer as early as possible.

Don’t jump the gun and let your fears take over. It is very rare for someone to get lung cancer in their twenties but it happens. The best is to put your worries to rest by getting  properly checked.  That way you can move on with your life. Hope you get a clean bill of health. 

@LilyMir thank you Lilymir. I will have a convo with my doc to explain the worries and from there we can see what to do.

I was also wondering. I have this “cough” for 3,5 years that I told you about. But when is it really a cough and when is it like a stress thing? With me it is often a throat clearing sound and a tickling feeling which i respond to by coughing softly. However, if i lay down and relax it often fades away. When i sleep also. I can also “suppress” it by not  responding to that tickly feeling and then i can go hours without a single cough. Is it really a cough if you can suppress it

You’re obviously concerned enough to continue posing questions like this. Please listen to yourself; take your concerns seriously! Please, take your concerns to a doctor and ask to investigate whether you have lung cancer. Being direct and assertive in your requests of the medical system is the only way to find peace. Wishing you well, 

Karen