Home from surgery update!

Maryloumoo

Hi all! My surgery was 5/26/22. I had to stay 4 days because of the chest tube just wasn’t ready to come out. The tube was not painful, just very annoying. The nodule was cancer so they did the full lobectomy.

The surgery wasn’t bad! I had a lot of nausea afterward, but that’s how anesthesia effects me always. Pain and nausea were controlled with meds and I was up walking the evening of the surgery. I had a combo davinci / vats- surgeon had to switch from robot to vats to get a better look and to actually go in with her fingers to find the culprit nodule! I am very sore but not in pain. My breathing is different, not painful just hard to take deep breaths. I’m do all the exercises and I feel like I will heal well.  
surgeon is  confident she got all the cancer and no further treatments are warranted.  Just scans every few months. I’m happy with the outcome and glad it was not a recurrence of the other cancer I had! 

i can’t remember who it is on here who is having the same surgery here soon and was very anxious, I hope whoever that is reads this! It’s not a day in the park but it’s really not that bad! I’m just sore and that’s it. I’m coughing as I should which can hurt a bit while I’m coughing but overall I feel pretty good. I got up this morning and made my own coffee and breakfast! Everyone is different, sure, but as far as surgery goes, this ain’t a bad one after the first day! Good luck to you. Here if you have any questions for me! 

Marylou,

I'm happy you are up and about. It might take some time to get used to your change in respiration mechanics but you'll be breathing like normal in no time.

Very happy you've posted your surgical experience to allay the concerns of our members.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi MaryLou,

I'm happy to hear that you are feeling pretty well after having undergone a lobectomy. My guess is that little by little you will start to feel better, breathe better, and cough less. I'm sure it feels great to be out of the hospital. Just remember to take it slowly at first and give your body time to heal.

Best,

Ro

My surgery is in the morning and I am super anxious! I am having robot assist and scared to death!! Hearing how well you have done gives me hope! Did you have an Exparel Block to assist with pain relief after surgery? It is injected into the wound during the procedure and lasts for up to 5 days but I read about it and the side effects scare me a lot! Not sure I am going to get any sleep tonight!

Chris, you will do fine. My surgeon did use a nerve block but I am not sure what it’s called. I am still fairly numb around my right side and front but I can feel it’s effect is lessened over the day today. There’s still no pain! It’s sore, very sore but no pain. I have not used any pain meds since day two. Just Tylenol.  
it’s a major surgery but it’s very doable. I was very anxious and I asked for the ‘ I don’t care anymore’ meds pretty soon. You will get through just like me and I hope so much that you get good news! Please check in as soon as you feel able! I will be here cheering you on and sending you love! You got this! I am sure of that!! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Chris_M,

I had that block it was wonderful.

I felt nothing when they took the drain out and by the time it wore off, I was completely out of pain. 

Bob

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2022 at 9:08 PM, Chris_M said:

My surgery is in the morning and I am super anxious! I am having robot assist and scared to death!! Hearing how well you have done gives me hope! Did you have an Exparel Block to assist with pain relief after surgery? It is injected into the wound during the procedure and lasts for up to 5 days but I read about it and the side effects scare me a lot! Not sure I am going to get any sleep tonight!

Hi Chris, Wondering how your surgery went for you?

Yvette

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.