Exparel block for pain control surgery in AM

Chris_M

Hello, 

I am scheduled for my Wedge resection possible lobectomy tomorrow and am extremely nervous!!! My doctor uses an exparel block to help with pain control but after reading about this it has me even more anxious!! Has anyone else had this? If not can you please tell me what gave you the best pain control following your procedure?

thanks!! 

I don't know anything about exparel block. After my surgery, I had a couple of doses of toradol, an extremely strong NSAID that can only be used short term. It was very effective. I was discharged the day after my VATS lobectomy with a chest tube still in place. My lung was still leaking air.  I think it's pretty unusual both to be discharged so quickly and to be sent home with the tube in place. I was glad to go home, though, and it worked out fine. The pain I had was mostly from the chest tube, and I had oxycodone PRN. Once the chest tube was out, I used only tylenol and ibuprofen. I found that the VATS lobectomy was pretty easy as surgeries go.

Hi Chris, good luck tomorrow! I don't know anything about exparel block either, sorry. 

I stayed in hospital for a week as I had a (minor) air leak and my doctor was awesome and thorough (the nurses wanted to discharge me after 2 days and remove the tube but he did not let them). Throughout my stay I was on strong narcotics to control pain, which varies from person to person. I was given max doses in the beginning which were gradually reduced to 0 on discharge (along with anti-nausea meds, which I really needed). They also had me on an epidural for the first 3-4 days with gradually reduced level. If pain became strong they at times gave me IV breakthrough narcotic which almost instantaneously helped until the pills kicked in (it takes like an hour for pills to work).

At home, I took Tramadol for a week or so then weaned myself to Tylenol and/or Advil then nothing. Moving as soon as you can helps, as well as coughing and using the spirometer. Wishing you the best!

My doctor said I will be here a minimum of 4 days longer if the chest tube is not ready to come out. I am on my way there as I type and am terrified! Thank you both for your support!

It won’t be nearly as bad as you think Chris, focus on the fact that the surgeon will remove any nasty cancer, which is potentially curative! Staying in hospital means you have the best care at a click of a button so enjoy it!

I too am dreading my first chemo session today so you are not alone having fears. I will be thinking of you.

Chris,

This surgery is easier than we think.  Yes, it's scary and yes the "chest tube" sucks, but you'll do better than you expect. I hope by now you are resting comfortably and some of the anxiety you felt has diminished.  Did you ever get to read my "Thoracic Surgery Tips and Tricks"?  If not it can be found here.  It will provide some good advice for your post-surgery recovery.  My immediate advice is to take your pain meds as prescribed and relax and rest as needed.  By now they've already had you up, so your pain block has likely worn off and the oral meds will keep you comfortable.  Stay strong and know that you are already on the "healing side" of the surgery.

Lou