Last minute fears about Cisplatin

LilyMir

So I am supposed to have my first adjuvant chemo session tomorrow, Cisplatin and Venolerbine. The hearing loss risk is keeping me up tonight and reading online it seems like almost every patient gets some hearing loss, many severe, always permanent. I am FREAKING OUT and thinking about declining chemo tomorrow. Anyone up and has any advice/experience to offer? Suddenly feeling so very scared.

Hi lily 

I didnt have any hearing loss with the chemo only a bit of tinnitus but that went fairly quickly, try not to worry and freak out it will be alright and nowhere near as bad as you think, goodluck tomorrow all the best 

Take care Justin x 

I was supposed to have cisplatin but because of slightly elevated kidney function received carboplatin instead. There is always fear of the unknown (I was scared to death of my first chemo and radiation) but hopefully you will have no side effects or only mild ones. Stay strong!

Lily,

I have tinnitus and hearing loss that is likely a result of Army service. In my duty time, we fired rifles, machine guns, and cannons without ear protection. Hearing loss and tinnitus is indeed non reversible, I believe in most cases. But, it is a small price to pay compared to a lung cancer recurrence. Believe me, you don't want to start down the recurrence trail. Life is then at risk.

Stay the course.

Tom

Lily - 

You may not have the same side effects, or may have them to a lesser degree. I had cisplatin and the tinnitus started for me almost immediately. Super Doc said they could adjust the dosage to lessen the side effects but I declined. For me, the hearing damage was worth the risk. Hang in there.

Hello, I too have been given cisplatin, along with another chemo type drug and an immune therapy drug. Be sure to follow thru with treatment and let the doc know of side effects you are having no matter how small.  Communication is the key.  

I am at stage 3a but the treatment given to me was a newly approved treatment for stage 4 patients.  They did 3 treatment sessions before doing lobectomy surgery.

After surgery I did receive good news from the pathology test results.  The tumor removed and all 12 lymph nodes were showing as cancer free.   

On 6/6/2022 at 8:22 PM, Susan Cornett said:

Lily - 

You may not have the same side effects, or may have them to a lesser degree. I had cisplatin and the tinnitus started for me almost immediately. Super Doc said they could adjust the dosage to lessen the side effects but I declined. For me, the hearing damage was worth the risk. Hang in there.

Thanks Susan! So the tinnitus remained and you got permanent hearing loss? My tinnitus almost subsided (today is day 13 after Cisplatin, first cycle) but my ears still feel weird, like full and I noticed high frequency loss (the thermometer tone that used to bother me to no end is much harder to hear now, for a while was completely not perceptible to me, I had to look at the colour of the reading to know it was ringing!).