Stage 1 inoperable, immunotherapy and autoimmune disease

Kimmiann

I have stage 1b inoperable adenocarcinoma.  I e had 3 rounds of carboplatin and Alimta and 33 radiation treatments.  Now the oncologist is talking about doing a year of immunotherapy.  I have hashimoto's, lupus and RA.  I know immunotherapy can be an issue with autoimmune problems.  I cannot find in any literature where immunotherapy is used for stage 1 inoperable NSCLC.  

Kimmiann,

I'm surprised to hear that Stage 1b would be inoperable, but that can be because of the location of the tumor.  I was stage 1a and did have a LRL lobectomy.  Let's see what others here have to say about any existing conditions and the relation to treatment.  In the meantime Lungevity has a page that discusses a number of different treatments and it can be found here.  I'm not sure it will cover your particular situation but you can learn more about additional options.  We also have a group on Immunotherapy where others may have experience that can help you out.  That is on this page.  Stick around and post as you go through your treatment and I'm sure others will post to share their experiences with you.

Lou

Hi Lou,

Thank you for responding.  I'm inoperable because I had lung cancer 11 years ago and a RLL.  This is a new primary lung cancer in my RUL.  They'd have to remove my entire lung and I don't have the air flow to live on just the left.  I think being Stage 1 inoperable is confusing even the Drs on what to do now that I've had chemo and radiation.

9 minutes ago, BridgetO said:

Hi Kimmiann, I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Has radiation been considered? It is sometimes used in early stage cancers when surgery isn't possible.

Yes I had 35 radiation treatments and 3 rounds of chemo.  I'm just really confused about immunotherapy for stage 1.

If you are curious about treatment plans, you might check the NCCN, National Comprehensive Cancer Network. They develop the guidelines US cancer folks use for determining best practice in treatment for any cancer. You will have to create a free account, but it is well worth it for the information you can get. Under Guidelines, you can check the cancer you want to learn about. Here's the link to the page, in case it opens for you without creating an account. www.nccn.org/guidelines

Do you know the immunotherapy they are considering?