Newly diagnosed

Jill60

Hi. My name is Jill. 60 years old. Watching my dog try to catch lightning bugs on this beautiful evening.  Both parents died of lung cancer. I went in for an annual physical and it was strongly suggested I get a cat scan because of family history. I have a mass on the right side. Already did the petscan and will be going for biopsy in 10 days.  I'm very calm with a positive attitude. It's been very inspirational reading all of your posts. Everyone stay positive! 

Hi Jill,

Welcome to the forums and I'm sorry you need to be here.  Both of my parents also died of cancer; my mother of lung cancer and my father from bladder cancer, and my family has a long list of folks who succumbed to cancer so I understand your concern over the possibility of having it yourself.  It's great to hear you are calm and positive as that will surely work in your favor as you go through this journey.  

You'll find our forums to be a great place to connect with others who will share their experience and hard-gained knowledge on lung cancer, so feel free to ask any questions you'd like.   I'd also like to share an article with you titled "10 Steps to Surviving Lung Cancer; From a Survivor", it can be found here.  It's a good primer to prepare yourself if the biopsy shows malignancy.  Lung cancer is no longer the automatic death sentence it once was so you'll do better to stay away from Dr. Google and stick with your medical team and others with experience to understand outcomes and longevity after diagnosis.  

I'm 3-years since my Lower Right Lobectomy and still NED (No Evidence of DIsease).  There are others here far longer than me who are still living their lives and enjoying friends and family.  So, keeping that great attitude will surely be an asset to you along the way.  

Finally, Lungevity has a section called "Lung Cancer 101" where there is a lot of knowledge on LC in general as well as the diagnostic process.  There may be information there that will prove helpful to you at this stage you're at.  It is on this page.  Keep posting and ask us anything you'd like, we're here to help you.

Lou

Welcome Jill!

I was right where you are 18 years ago--in diagnostic madness. I offer but one message: if I can live, so can you! Hold on to that idea as you move forward.

Judy and Lou have offered sound advice. You've got a lot to learn and most important is the need to master our lung cancer vocabulary. Lou's suggestion of Lung Cancer 101 is sound indeed. Read this, then watch the movie. Hope is a good thing!

Stay the course.

Tom

Thank you everyone. There are so many positive posts here. I want to direct my sister and sons to read these. I'm concerned about their mental and physical health through this. I make sure to ask how they're doing because we're in this together.

Jill, one thing I found very helpful during treatments was a Caring Bridge site. Just one place where you can inform people about how you're doing. It takes a little effort to set up but once that's done, updates are easy. I haven't had anything to write about in more than a year now because I'm back to good health. 

You might consider asking for counseling resources for your family-- and yourself?-- at your cancer center. Being a relative or caregiver is really hard, especially if you, the patient, have been a person your family is used to relying on for support. I found myself feeling less and less available as this person for my own family, especially as treatment progressed.

I have seen a counselor weekly since the beginning and find it helpful to have someone to whom I can talk about things that are hard for my family to hear. 

I'm glad you find positivity here. It's a pretty great space. 

Welcome.

Hi Jill I talk to all my family about everything to do with this journey I think it helps me and everyone as it concerns all of us, stay strong goodluck with everything

Take care Justin x 

Hi Jill.  When I was first diagnosed and came to this forum, I found these folks really helped me.  So much HOPE I had no idea was there!  My cancer was found because my arm broke while working in the garden, so already stage IV.  Amazingly, treatments have gone well thus far and, even though I'm still in the battle, I feel pretty well overall and I'm still working full-time.  I would encourage you to continue checking in here with questions and to get a good dose of encouragement every time you need it.  I found this forum to be such a positive influence and one of the reasons I've been able to keep my outlook so hopeful after this crappy diagnosis.  Best wishes on your upcoming biopsy and keep us informed as you can.

• 2 weeks later...

Update...Biopsy confirmed cancer. Met with oncologist today. I will be doing radiation 5 days and chemo 1 day. Carboplatin and Taxol. Meeting with Oncology/Radiation on Monday and will also meet with thoracic surgeon. 

Jill,

It always feels good to get a treatment plan in order.  A while back I wrote a small piece call "Thoracic Surgery Tips and Tricks" that contains recommendations pre-surgery, in-hospital, and post-surgery.  If surgery is recommended it will prove helpful and can be found here. Please keep us updated and ask any questions you may have.

Lou