Fever Question

Guest Feverquestion

Guest Feverquestion

My dad has Stage 4 LC met to brain, elsewhere mets who knows. His chemo treatment #5 (think he is taking carb/tax) was on the 5th of March. Has a 6th treatment left to do still.

Anyway, he is taking procrit now for low blood counts. Today he has the flu/cold/not feeling well, and thinks he has a fever.

Does anyone know how high of a fever before we call the doctor? Or should we call ASAP because he is sick with a cold/flu/not feeling well.............

HELP!

I call the doctor with either kind of fever - the steady one or the one that climbs and drops... Normally, we then go through a list of other "symptoms" and she decides if she needs to see me (read "give me drugs") or if I just need to continue to monitor the situation and when I should either seek emergency room help (if after office hours) or drop in to see her.

Now, I did not do chemo so I'm not sure what the "rules" are surrounding a fever and compromised immune system - I'd err on the side of caution and call the doctor.

Being a mom, for my son, sometimes things just don't "feel right" even if the symptoms don't seem to be pointing to anything - I call the doctor then, too. If you are uneasy with the fever and anything else you are seeing, run it by the doctor. The doctor doesn't live with the patient to catch the nuances of small changes...

Becky

What exactly is a "low grade" fever? I always hear the term, but no one ever defines it. Sorry if it is a dumb question, but I am curious.

It is so amazing this thread is on here, I have been fighting a fever for the last 24 hours, just finally got it down. At one point, was going to call Dr, but it was 11 pm and I took some ibuprofin and decided if it didn't drop by 11:30 I would call them. It went down, so I went to bed and it stayed under 101 from that point on. Probably should have called Doc this AM, but he already has me on antibiotic, so seemed pointless.

Almost feeling human now, so I guess I survived!

Any fever with low blood counts is cause for a phone call. My Dr. gets mad if I don't call him if I get over 100.4. You are so much more likely to catch something when counts (especially white counts) are low. One thing that helps me a lot is washing my hands as often as I can. I am ALMOST to the OCD point, lol. I also try and stay away from large groups of people when my counts are low (the mall, main parts of the hotel, etc.).

Prayers for a simple case of the flu or something even less!

God Bless,

MO

Guest Guest2

Guess my dad went to the dct yesturday. And they said that it was a bad reaction to the Chemo that he had on friday. (it is first really bad reaction, if you don't count being tired and hair loss as a bad reaction) They shot him up with Iron and some other stuff and said that he was dehydrated and sent him home. The 6th treatment is still on for this month. makes me wonder if the next reaction will be worse.

Just thought I would update you all. Thanks for the help.....

Guest GUEST2

UGH! Gosh, I hate not being told the full story. anyway, I guess he fainted and lost control of his bowels and got confused and then passed out again. Then went to the dctr and they gave him steriods and gave him fluid bc he was dehydrated. All happened a few days after a chemo treatment. So, my question isconsidering he already has met to brain (localized radiation to treat met to brain) do ya;ll think it is likely due to an seen met to brain that caused the episode or just because he was dehydrated. Anyone else has something simular happen....

Guest Guest2

For all intensive purposes he is on his own bc he wants to be. brought up the topic that we could get help but I was told to shut up. He does have a family member check in but not living with him.....