Allergic reaction during chemo

Kelvin4426

I am so sorry to hear Kelvin! Hope they managed it without too much trouble for your mom. Did the nurses/doctors explain why this happened?

My second cycle is this Wed and I am so stressed. I am still struggling from the effects of the first cycle and oncologist delayed  the second cycle from last week (will check my blood tomorrow). I had almost every side effect in the book after the first cycle and they changed the regimen for the second. It is such a rough road for some of us! 

5 minutes ago, LilyMir said:

I am so sorry to hear Kelvin! Hope they managed it without too much trouble for your mom. Did the nurses/doctors explain why this happened?

My second cycle is this Wed and I am so stressed. I am still struggling from the effects of the first cycle and oncologist delayed  the second cycle from last week (will check my blood tomorrow). I had almost every side effect in the book after the first cycle and they changed the regimen for the second. It is such a rough road for some of us! 

Hey I know you've been having a tough time any I'm praying for u. I don't know the full details as I wasn't there but my mom just texted me saying that it happens to some people? She couldn't breath so they had to give benadryl, oxygen ecg. She didn't have a reaction first cycle but today she did. They continued the chemo and will monitor her tmr for her next chemo session 

They typically put you on dexamethasone for one or two days before, the day of and the day after your first one or two chemo infusions until they know you're not allergic. Plus there is a Benadryl bag before the infusion starts. Hopefully this was a one-time reaction and she's feeling better now. They ought to be watching her closely next time. 

Hi kelvin 

Hopefully everything will be alright with the next chemotherapy your mom receives, I had dexamethasone and benadryl as judy said during my chemotherapy, goodluck with everything Take care Justin 

9 hours ago, Justin1970 said:

Hi kelvin 

Hopefully everything will be alright with the next chemotherapy your mom receives, I had dexamethasone and benadryl as judy said during my chemotherapy, goodluck with everything Take care Justin 

Hi yes the doctors gave her medicine before chemo this time around so no reaction! Today is her last day of chemo and will start imminotherepy soon

I asked at BCCA today Kelvin and seems allergy occasionally happens and seems to be not a big deal. They said at times it occurs during a second session, rarely a first. They give allergy meds and proceed.

3 minutes ago, LilyMir said:

I asked at BCCA today Kelvin and seems allergy occasionally happens and seems to be not a big deal. They said at times it occurs during a second session, rarely a first. They give allergy meds and proceed.

O that's weird how they say it happens but don't put meds before even before a reaction. My mom said the doctor panic when they saw her but maybe she was the one panicking haha but all is good now. This cycle seems to be better overall after each day so hoping ur second cycle is the same

I think every medication has side effects so anti allergy drugs are not routinely given but I am surprised the doctor panicked! They should be prepared for such possible reactions in every case. Maybe it was a novice nurse, not an oncologist?

I had my infusion this morning (amazing nurse). So far so good but during the last cycle trouble started a bit later so I am holding my fingers crossed. At least my blood CBC tests were back normal today so a little good thing to celebrate.

Kelvin, I don't think they followed protocol with your mom's infusion where she had an allergic reaction. My chemo nurse went by the book with dexamethasone and Benadryl. I had a Benadryl infusion every time before the chemo drugs and got a nice nap out of it. They should do the same with your mom. 

1 minute ago, Judy M2 said:

Kelvin, I don't think they followed protocol with your mom's infusion where she had an allergic reaction. My chemo nurse went by the book with dexamethasone and Benadryl. I had a Benadryl infusion every time before the chemo drugs and got a nice nap out of it. They should do the same with your mom. 

Hi Judy, they give you Benadryl each infusion without any previous allergy incident? I never saw that at our cancer centre.

5 hours ago, Pstar said:

Glad to hear that the second infusion has gone well so far Lily and that your counts are better. Hoping your Mom doesn’t have another reaction Kelvin.

Nothing now she's officially done her chemo treatment 2 more weeks of radiation  small celebration. Hoping to hear NED soon 

On 6/30/2022 at 11:57 AM, Judy M2 said:

Yes, every time for 6 infusions, and it was my favorite part. I didn't have to take the dexamethasone once they determined I was not allergic. 

Interesting. At my cancer centre, they give me Dexa day 1 along with a very good nausea med, Dexa again days 2 and 3 (and now day 4 and 5 due to my very bad pain in cycle 1 but maybe I won't need it). I was told Dexa helps with inflammation, nausea, and now read it helps with allergies too. I was never given Benadryl and hope won't get a reaction next time (they mentioned it can happen the second dose of Carboplatin).