Introduction

darva6

My 75 yr old mom was just recently diagnosed with stage 4 NSCLC. It has gone to her brain but they were able remove those legions with surgery. Dr is waiting for her IQLung results to come back as well as waiting for him to schedule a PET scan to see if it has traveled anywhere else. This waiting is killing me. My mom is my best friend and nobody expected her to get cancer. I'm so afraid of losing her. 

Darva,

Welcome here.

Waiting with this disease, then waiting for results from a scan are unending nightmares. I can offer nothing to reduce anxiety; we call it scanziety!

Diagnosis is a process and it often appears to roll out slowly. But in reality, you mom's already had substantial treatment (removal of brain mets). With Stage IV disease, doctors need to the type and extent of lung cancer before beginning systemic therapy (chemo, targeted therapy, or immunotherapy). Has your mom received the pathologist report on the brain met biopsy? (This would define the type of lung cancer).

I wish I had a magic wand to accelerate your mother's diagnostic process.

Stay the course.

Tom

I know how you feel. Waiting is the hardest part. My dad was diagnosed with stage in a week ago and we are still waiting for the genetics markers. The way my dad has been coping is trying to get as healthy as possible before any Treatment starts. We spend our time more  Preciously these days.

Hi darva 

Sorry to hear your mom and you are going through this, the waiting really is hard but try and stay positive, I'm currently waiting for MRI results from scan I had 2 weeks ago I had gamma knife radiosurgery done in feb to hopefully sort out 2 lesions, everyone is here for you Take care Justin x

Darva,

Welcome to our forums and sorry to hear about your mom's condition.  You've got some good counsel already so I'll leave you with two items for now. 

1. Here is a blog titled "10 Steps to Surviving Lung Cancer; from a Survivor" with valuable information you can find here.
  2. As someone with a family member who has lung cancer you may find some useful information and support in our "Caregiver's Support Center".   This can be found on this page.

Stick around, ask questions and you'll find a varied group here with a wide breadth of experiences that can help you and your mom on this difficult journey.

Lou