Introduction

JEA

Hi, I’m Jeanne. New to this forum but not a stranger to cancer for sure. Dx’d with NSCLC stage 1 in 2016 and currently monitoring another 2 probable adenocarcinomas in R lung. Had Vats RUL in 2016 as only treatment. Prior to that though is my extensive history with cancer starting in 1974 (yeah, I’m old) with Hodgkin Lymphoma treated with massive doses of radiation therapy. Courtesy of radiation I developed thyroid cancer in 2008, breast cancer in 2011 and lots of lovely skin cancers starting in 2012 and ongoing. Kudos to all the survivors and those recently diagnosed. We’re a pretty tough bunch whether we want to be or not!

Hi Jeanne,

Welcome to the club nobody wants to be a part of.  Yes, you surely do have some heavy experience behind you.  I was DX'd with Stage 1 in 2019 and had RLL in May of that year.  So far I've been NED (No Evidence of Disease) but we are always aware that this is a recurrent disease that can come back for us again.  Like you, I've had cancer before as well (Colorectal in 2010).  In my case the treatment was a resection that has been successful.

We have a great family of survivors here that have had many different experiences.  So whatever questions you ask there will be someone who can share firsthand information to help you though this journey.  You said you're "monitoring" ; does that mean new nodules?  If so, can you tell us more about them?

We'll be here for you if you need us.

Lou

Hi Lou, I have 2 new nodules in right middle and lower lobes. The consensus from Thoracic/Oncology Board Drs is that they are slow growing adenocarcinomas. The kicker is, due to location neither one are able to be biopsied. I was told that chemo is not an option due to small size but the only option would be stereotactic radiation. Unfortunately because they are so small that is not an option until they grow! Feel like I’m between a rock and a hard place with a ticking time bomb in my chest! So frustrating!! I may end up getting second opinion at Dana Farber after next ct scan. 

Jeanne,

I fully understand the "something is growing in me" feeling.  I had to wait for three months for my nodule to grow before they finally decided to do the lobectomy.  The stereotactic radiation appears to be a very effective treatment to fry those suckers and you'll hear from others here who have had it with very good results.  In the meantime I'll add two things.

1. A second opinion is always a good thing to do so please get it if only for your own peace of mind.
  2. Do your best to try and not let this situation keep you from living your life.  Get whatever support you need to help you to cope with the fear and anxiety this disease causes us.  From now until a treatment is implemented you have a right to enjoy your life.  Do things that make you happy, eat healthy, get rest, socialize.  You deserve to have happiness in the life you are fighting to keep.

Lou

Jeanne,

Sorry to hear about your cancer struggles.  Your post caught my eye as my brother was diagnosed with NSCLC adeno stage 4 in May of 2021 at the age of 47.  However, many years ago, when he was 12, he also had Hodgkins Lymphoma.  Though no doctor could prove or disprove it, some believe that his original cancer treatments could have caused the cancer he is fighting now.  Thing is, he never had radiation for the Hodgkins.  He was able to get to remission with just chemo.  He did have many stomach issues in his 30's where they did a lot of x-rays, CTs, GIs, MRIs, ultrasounds, etc.  Maybe these could have contributed but nobody will every know and it doesn't really matter now.  Just need him to concentrate on his current fight.  He's on his 2nd line treatment now and considered somewhat stable but that's only from the last scan.  So, I would think I would want to see consecutive scans with no growth whatsoever before I would call it stable.  

Anyway, you've got this!  You are an experienced fighter!

Good Bro,

I get it. It’s hard dealing with the “scanxiety” and waiting for the call saying everything looks stable. Sending strength to you and your brother!!
Just an FYI, chances are extremely high that his health issues after Hodgkins treatment were caused by the treatment he received. There’s a Facebook group for Hodgkins survivors with another group called Hodgkins International. They have guidelines for Hodgkins survivors as to what type of surveillance follow ups are needed. It’s well documented that radiation and chemo cause all sorts of problems down the road. Word is finally getting out thanks to some dedicated Drs. The info I learned there is what helped my lung cancer be discovered so early.