Update on my Dad

Thought I would give a quick update on my Dad. First of all, Dad has had one carbo/taxol treatment and one Zometa/taxol treatment. He has handled these beautifully. The only side effect so far has been some joint pain. Now for the bad news. Dad's coughing has gotten much worse this week. I called his family physician who said to bring him right in. Dad has a really bad case of bronchitis. His O2 saturation was 89%. His Dr. gave him an antibiotic injection and a cortisone injection and also antibiotic pills to take. He also put Dad on 2 liters of oxygen.(First time for the O2) He wants him to use the oxygen for at least 12 hours each day. I pretty much knew that Dad would have to go on oxygen with his lung cancer at some point..........I just didn't think it would happen so quick! :cry: Is this how quickly this disease progresses??? Oh Heavenly Father I hope not! My Dad lives with me. Every time I walk by him sleeping, it feels like someone is literally squeezing my heart. I watch him to be sure that he is breathing. (Am I neurotic or what???) Dad is worried that he had to go on O2 only six weeks after his diagnosis...........frankly, it worries me too. :cry: To beat it all, I am supposed to leave to go on a church trip tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. I feel so guilty about going..........not real sure that I will go. Dad says that he is fine, but since I am an only child and he is divorced..........I feel that there is no one who will check on him. :cry: I will call a couple of his friends in the morning to see if they can drop by and check on him. Dad is still able to walk and do as he wishes.......except for strenuous things.......guess this is just one more of those rollercoaster rides that I will be taking. Snowflake, I am buckling my seatbelt and holding on tight.

It's been a real "downer" of a day. Sorry this turned into a lengthy post. Just needed to get this off of my chest.

Please remember my Dad in your prayers tonight!! He has just gotten the will to fight this horrible disease and this has really put a damper on his spirits.

Angie

Angie,

I was on oxygen within ONE week of my final dx! And that was over 4 months ago. And I didn't have bronchitis. And I found that being on oxygen was a GOOD thing. I felt better almost immediately. Not as tired or "run down", more strength and stamina.

All and all it sounds like your Dad is doing ok. Keeping on top of any lung infection is, obviousely, important and it sound like your Dr. is doing that.

Take a deep breath yourself, Angie. This race isn't even on the final lap yet, let alone close to the finish line.

Dean

Angie,

Wish I could just talk to you now. I don't know much about the medical aspect. I do know, however, that you should not feel guilty about going on your trip. As a parent, I can attest to the fact that I bet your father DOES want you to go on with your life and activities as much as you can under the circumstances. ANd you need to do that, for him and for yourself and your husband and your girls. He knows you love him. How do I know that? Because even thought I have never met you, I can hear the love you have for him in the words you write. Just think how much HE can feel your love, while he right there in your presence.

Go on your trip. YOu can call him, and you have made arrangements to have someone check on him.

Keeping you in my thoughts

Elaine

Thank you so much Dean, Elaine, and J.C. You guys, as usual, have made me feel better. Elaine, I will be going on my trip. Dad said last night that I could stay home if I wanted to, but he was not going to be inside. He said that we are going to have a beautiful day today and he's not going to waste it. (Dean, trying to send some of this "scooting" weather your way!)We live on a farm.......cows, a few chickens, and 8 goats. Dad has been "supervising" a carpenter who is doing some work on our barn. That's how he will be spending his weekend...........doing exactly what he wants............and not inside. And yes, I do LOVE my Dad........more than I can ever put into words. I am still a Daddy's girl at age 32 and I will still be a Daddy's girl at age 82, if the Lord gives me that much time here on earth. If not, I will be his little girl in Heaven. Dean and J.C...........you guys are probably right.....it will make him feel better. Thank you so much. Much love from Alabama!

Angie

Guest KellyB

Angie...I read your post and shivered at our similarities. I am Kelly,also a daughter of Bill, diagnosed with stage 4 nslc. Are those your girls? I too have three daughters! Ages 9,5 and 3. They are my fathers life, he watches them MWF and they are his best buddies. My father was also diagnosed in Jan of..2003 though. I am 35 and my Dad's first born, every emotion and fear you have I have also felt and fear everyday. My Dad lives close by so I am constantly running over to check on him.

About the oxygen, don't fret. I felt the same way(I thought..how did we get here already?) Then a kind therapist who set him up at home on the O2 told him to think of the air as another perscription medication. It will help get the oxygen to his cells and keep his heart from overworking. My Dad had staph infection and pneumonia.

This website is a compassionate kind place with lots of advice and helpful info. I know you feel guilty for living your life but this will be happening no matter what and I am sure your Dad would want that as well. I live everyday with my Dad to the fullest and refuse to concede to statistics and predictions. I am sending hope and lots of prayers for your Dad. Keep us posted. :wink:

There seems to be a resounding theme of Daddy's Girl all over this board. I too, would qualify for that category and I too just simply ache over my dad's current struggle :( It is so hard to see them hurt in a physical way let alone what is going on with them mentally!!! That may even be harder to take at times. I always detect a certain sense of fear when we discuss his condition and symptoms or whatever, and it can be so heartbreaking. (I don't blame him for feeling that way; obviously) Overall though, I would call him cautiously hopeful!!!!

My dad too has voiced many of times that he doesn't want to go on O2 and I think it's just because what it represents to them. That, however ,is not always the case. If you look around this board there are several people who have battled viruses,pneumonia and many other demons and have gotten through just fine. I will pray for your dad to get this bronchitis thing cleared up ASAP and get him off O2 as well. I completely understand your feelings about this. You almost feel like you are mothering a 4th child probably. That's how I feel a little bit because I am your age too and have three children also (a brand new baby girl) I am always going back and forth between happiness, fatigue and nervousness!!!!! It's a crazy life. I have hope for you and all the others struggling with this beast!! I'm so glad I found this board you all are so kind and courageous (and funny aka snowflake!!)

Angie,

I like the idea of thinking of the oxygen as another prescription drug. I have been on and off oxygen since July. More time off the oxygen in those months than off--so also keep in mind that as his bronchitis clears up, he may not need the oxygen anymore. But even if he does, you learn to live with it. I can't walk as quickly as I used to, and there are days when I get really frustrated with that tube following me all over the house and the noisy cart I have to drag around at work (Just once I would like to sneak up on someone again!), but without the oxygen, I wouldn't be at work--I'd probably be at home crying and feeling sorry for myself because I can't breathe well enoguh to do anything else.

I guess my point is--don't let the oxygen get you down. It is inconvenient and it does really drive home how serious everything is, but it helps so much.

Becky