Thorencentesis did not go well...

TAnn

Yesterday I was scheduled to have the fluid drained from around my lung (thorencentesis). This was the 4th time I've had it done since being diagnosed in April '03. My effusion is quite large and we were hoping to get at least 1500cc of fluid out.

Well, I have never done very well with this procedure. I keep being told by all the doctors that this is a very "easy" procedure. Easy for WHO?......

The first time I had it done, I fainted. The second time, I did a little better, but still became very nauceous (sp). The third time they had to stop because I was in ALOT of pain and yesterday....... I threw up and they had to stop :oops::oops: . They only got about 850cc.

I feel like such a wimp. Why can't I tolerate this very "SIMPLE" procedure???? Now they are pushing for the "Denver Cathetar", a permanent tube for me to drain daily. If I can't tolerate THEM draining it, HOW can I possibly drain it myself :?: I'm so upset. I wanted the fluid OUT. I'm on my chemo "BREAK' and was hoping to be free of hospitals and procedures for a little while at least.....

Has anyone else had trouble with this procedure???

Thanks for listening....

TAnn

TAnn,

While I can't offer any advice on the "tapping", I can offer this -

STOP beating yourself up over it! Everyone has their limits...believe me. Seems like this disease puts many of us to the very edge of what we can handle and then gives a little "puff" of air to knock us over...

I hate needles...putting stuff in or taking stuff out...hate 'em! Hate shots, hate blood draws, hate sewing mishaps, hate papercuts, hate seeing my own blood...and have had some HORRIBLE trips for CTs. It doesn't help that the darn techs suck, in fact, makes the next experience even harder.

Don't treat yourself badly over this, it's how you're wired. See if your GP can prescribe an anti-anxiety "Band-Aid" for you to take prior to treatment and see if that helps - it should shut that voice in your head up for a while...ya know, the one that says "Oh, here it comes, it's gonna HURRRT.."

Hope you can work through this better than I've worked through my needle issue (and I may just take my own advice next time and pop a Xanax a few hours before the sticking...)

Take care,

Becky

TAnn,

It's mind boggling to me that anyone would tell YOU that having a needle/tube inserted in your chest is a "simple and easily tolerated" procedure. For some folks it may be, but for others it isn't! And the person who gets to judge whether or not it's an easy procedure on the patient IS THE PATIENT!!!! (from a pain standpoint, that is.) The one doing the tapping gets to decide if executing the tap is easy for them, and frankly it should be. If they aren't good at it someone who IS good at it should be doing it. And since I've had needles and tubes (both thin and thick) inserted in my chest a number of times, I know from experience that-barring complications-if someone is good at what they do it doesn't hurt any where near as much as if you get tapped by someone who isn't so good at what they're doing.

So, please....don't allow anyone to make you feel as if you are some kind of failure because having a big needle stuck in you hurt you. If it makes you ill then perhaps they can come up with something to make it easier on you. Do they use a local anesthetic to help partially numb the area where the needle/tubing is inserted? Do they offer any kind of sedation? There has to be something they can do to make this easier on you.

I'll try to find out what can be done.

I am sorry you've had such a rough go of it.

Fay,

They did give me novacaine at the sight before inserting the needle and tubing. I'm wondering if I may be allergic to the novacaine? Have you ever heard of that? The dr. that did the thorencentesis was very good, and it didn't hurt at all. I just got really nauseous all of a sudden, which happens every time.......

Thank you for your kind words

TAnn

TAnn,

I had the same thing done yesterday and threw up all over the place also. I think it is just part of the procedure. They gave me a shot of something to counteract the nausea and we continued. When they had about 1000cc's drawn off and things started to move back in to position (like my heart) I had the MOST pain I have ever felt. As soon as that started I had 2 more darvocet and we continued on. In total I had 1540 cc drawn off. We are going to watch it with an xray every 4 weeks to try and keep from having a major event like this again. We are also talking about the talc procedure for next time. I totally sympathize with what you are going through. I know it is not any fun but I also know I always feel so much better after it has been completed. Hang in there sweetie and you can do it!!

Prayers for you!

God Bless,

MO

TAnn, I've never had a chest tap, but I can tell you not everyone takes well to novocain. It takes a LOT of the stuff to work on me, and I get nauseous with it, too. Anxiety does make pain worse, too.

My mom is tough to draw blood from, so when she was in the hospital, anyone who came near her with a needle got asked "Are you REALLY good at this? It's not going to be easy, so if you aren't the best, we need whomever is." We found when techs were properly forewarned, they seem to do beter.

TAnn,

I don't experience nausea from locals, but I'm given locals that don't contain adrenaline.

Sorry I misunderstood what was happening. I had a roommate (after my second thoracotomy) who had been tapped for pleural effusion. She had some complications that required her to be admitted to the hospital, and the staff who came into the room really gave her a hard time over her complaints of pain, both during the procedure and afterwards.

Anyway...I'm glad you didn't have any pain. There are antinausea meds that can be given in your IV.