What a day!

Mary

Hi,

I know I haven't posted much but I do lurk and pray for everyone here. I wanted to share something that happened today at school. I teach seniors and I overheard two girls I teach talking in the hall about smoking. I started to walk by and stopped instead to confront them. I guess you could say I "snapped" went on a rampage, and applied some scared straight tactics. :twisted: One student was very receptive and has signed up for the stop smoking program at our school. The other had the typical attitude that she was invinsable. It felt so incredibly gooooooooood, I just might make it a point to snap more often.

Best Wishes,

Mary

Good for you! I have started to "snap" more and more, lol. I think we need to, especially with kids. If there is a chance of keeping even 1 of them from starting smoking it is worth it.

I will be talking to the school system about talking to the 6th grade health class sometime in the next few weeks. I figure it is time (while I am still bald) to "shock" some of them in to thinking about it.

Go for it girl!

God Bless,

MO

Funny, I just had a long conversation yesterday with a woman at work about how hard it's getting not to snap at the folks I see taking their smoking breaks outside our building, as I'm coming and going from the parking lot. (This was to the girlfriend of one of the guys who is ALWAYS out there... I'm not sure he ever works, to tell you the truth!) :wink: She said that he is just too totally addicted and won't consider trying to quit, no matter how obnoxious she gets about it. I know I've heard people here say it can be as addicting as cocaine for some people. I wonder if kids who are starting to smoke have ANY IDEA what they're setting themselves up for. They just can't, can they?

Anyway, other than this guy (who I have a hard time understanding for other reasons!), the people I see out there are very likable folks, and I hate to say anything to make them feel bad, and certainly don't want to sound "high and mighty" or preachy... but I just sometimes SOOOOO want to snap at them!!! :twisted: Glad to hear you decided to "go for it" with the kids. Yep, if even one person doesn't start the addiction, you've done quite the good deed.

Ry, what happens if she writes the manifesto? :)

BeckyCW

I don't think there is anything wrong with talking with folks about how awful smoking is, and suggesting ways that may help them to stop smoking.

I did some research and found out the names of facilities in my area that offering free smoking cessation classes, along with financial assistance to cover the cost of smoking cessation aids (Zyban, patches, nicotine gum, etc.), so that when I'm talking with them I can offer them information on real help.

• 2 weeks later...

Fay, I just read your message here and I have to say, "Duh!" Why didn't I think of that?! I'm going to find out about the smoking cessation programs near us and have that info handy for the times when I can't (or decide not to_ keep my mouth shut. Thank you very much for the idea!!!

BeckyCW

Mary Ann , how interesting that the school has a smoking cessation program. I'll tell you they never had that when I was in High School ! Our local group here in Minnesota has had an awareness programs in November a couple of times and I went to the local High School and spoke to the school nurse. I felt like she was brushing me off. She said " I don't think the kids would be interested in going unless it was during the week and they got the day off!" I kept pushing and said well at least take the brochure and give it to the teachers so they can come and learn about lung cancer. I really don't think she pushed it or was interested. I had a program at my hospital , tables with posters and pamphlets and once in a while I still here about it. Just yesterday a new employee was talking about how she just lost a parent quickly recently to lung cancer. The HUC ( health unit coordinator) looked at me and said how the hospital had an awareness event and " werent you in one of the pictures of lung cancer survivors?" " That was so interesting a display" etc. So if we keep trying maybe , little by little the word gets out . Donna G

When the smoker "rejects" our efforts to have them/help them stop smoking we have to choose not to look at it as a rejection of us as people. Because they aren't rejecting us...they're hanging on to what may be the only aspect of their world over which they feel they have any real control-To Smoke or Not to Smoke. (Even though we all know the addiction to tobacco is actually the thing in control).

When you are speaking to these people don't confront them. Talk with them like someone who actually cares about them.

A big part of the beginning of the "stigma" associated with a Lung Cancer Diagnosis came about when the American Cancer Society took it upon itself to use the "blame and shame" approach to manipulate people to stop smoking. (Which, by the way, appears to have been incredibly unsuccessful.) When the ACS came out against recommending yearly chest xrays or other diagnostic studies for early detection of Lung Cancer, and promulgated the idea that Lung Cancer is a completely preventable disease, what they really did was give hard hearted, vocal people a new and politcally correct target for their anger and hate. ( Remember, when this all happened back in the early 90s America had lost it's most recent politcally correct "whipping child": the AIDs sufferer. We were ripe for a new one.) That target became the Smoker, and those diagnosed with Lung Cancer.

So, my 20 cents on the subject...act like you give a d@#n about what happens to the smoker. I find that the fact that I genuinely care about folks is apparent TO (most of) them. And most respond by not outright rejecting what I'm trying to say. And some actually take what is said to heart. And then there are those who are going to continue no matter what one says.

If you're going to protest the use of tobacco to those USING tobacco (ADDICTS) you have to offer them something to take the place of the fix they rely on so heavily. So learn what is available in your area. I keep the toll free numbers for smoking cessation programs with me most of them time. If all you want to do is strike out at those who are doing something you dislike or disagree with (even if what you feel is justified), then be realistic in what you expect the result to be.

If you are going to protest the LOCATION where smokers congregate, then by all means, go to those who can make smokers move to areas where their habit does no harm to those who do not wish to be exposed to second hand smoke.

I honestly believe that the single greatest influence on smoking cessation in the State of California has been prohibiting smoking in most public buildings. They made it illegal. Lots of towns, cities, etc, are now making it illegal to smoke within so many feet of entrances to public buildings and other public areas...another smart move.

The attitude towards those with Lung Cancer really IS changing, slowly. It has to. Too many never smokers who have no second hand tobacco smoke exposure are being diagnosed with Lung Cancer, and the incidence rate in this population is rising too fast to be ignored. I ask that those of you who are projected to be alive over the next 2 decades pay special attention to the Lung Cancer rates among never smokers who live in the areas impacted the worst by the detritus from the bombings of the World Trade Center Towers, as well as the Pentagon. Then expand that search by hundreds of miles in the directions of the prevaling winds for that time period.

Which brings me to my final point: Because the attitude towards those with Lung Cancer IS changing, we as a society are ripe for the selection of a NEW whipping child, and I don't know about you, but I see the new kids to be tied to the post are being set up already....the over-eater and the overweight. Please note that I list those as separate, because many of those who are overweight are NOT over-eaters.

And this is going to be an especially cruel thing, because those who are addicted to food are the only addicts I can think of who HAVE to continue using the things they are addicted to in order to live. You can put down illegal drugs and never have need of them again, you can put down alchohol, you can put down cigarettes, you can even walk away from sex (not easily, but it can be done), but you can't do away with food.

I didn't expect this to turn into such a long ramble.... :shock: but here it is.

Disjointed, but that's how my brain works these days. :roll:

Happy Monday....

Fay!

As always my dear, you hit the nail on the head! You are such a remarkable woman! I am still just barely (6 months) smoke free, but let me tell you addiction is no fun. And food addiction is the worst of all. I just got back from the grocery store, I would pick the goody up, take 2 steps, then go and put it back. I am determined to get it under control, but it is sooooo hard, harder than quitting smoking by far. Lord help all of us fat people, we need it.

Blessings

Betty