What do You Make of this??

IIIp0

Hello guys. Welp we just got back from our 9th chemo treatment of once a week and the last three weeks my husband's ribs and chest/bronchial area has kept him in extreme pain. And the doctor just kept asking "well the hydrocodone is working isn't it for the pain" and we're like, "yeah -- but that doesn't tell us W-H-Y we have it now when we didn't when we first came in!~ In other words: is the taxol/carbo not working any more? Is the tumor getting bigger? Do I have a broken rib -- what gives??? And he's like, "your husband has a large tumor, and the situations hasn't changed since you were here three months ago, his prognosis is still the same [meaning 5-9 months from Decembe now!]".

I tell you, is it part of a physician's training to be condescending, arrogent and God-Like? It seems they excel more in these areas than in medicine. I'm so exasperated. We're going to go back to Moffitt center to see what's new, maybe get a thorough start-from-scratch three month checkup; and maybe they will care, at least outwardly, a little more about our options.

Does anyone know -- is it normal behavior to have MORE pain the longer the treatment and it not necessarily be from tumor growth??? It would help us to know what is normal here as we get absolutely no feedback from this guy.

Thanks -

Beth

Husband diag. 12/5 w/stage IV SCLC

mets in ribs/lungs/pelvic/femur/spine

9th week of chemo: taxol-carbo

Don't know much of anything other than he's gained 4 pounds/anemic but red cells on a slight rise!~

Beth, I can feel for you. At first I thought you were writing about my doctor when I read your post. It sounded so smilar. IF somethng hurts, his answer is the reason it hurts is because you are dying--says it a little nicer than that but that is what he is saying. Does he think I am dumb? I just want to know what is happening and what, if anything can be done.

No wonder the medical proffession knows so little about cancer. They seem to have no curiosity about what is going on inside the body--. No wonder many can't DX cancer, they don't listen to symptoms of actual cancer patients.

yes, I too had a bad doctor experience this week: can you tell?

I am looking for a new doctor and I wish you well in your search.

Thinking of us all, and hoping for all things good for you and yours.

Elaine

I have been on this board long enough to know that there are many oncs like the one you have. Fortunately, we have one that is not arrogant, not condescending and does not think he is God. He is helpful and compassionate, yet aggressive. We would not stand for anything less as long as we have a choice in oncs. I would think the pain should lessen with treatment, but I don't know your husband's case -- each person is different. You have to be your husband's advocate as well as his caregiver in this world, and fight for information, choices, etc. Good luck, and keep in touch here for info and support. Don

Oh wow - what a sorry excuse for a doctor. Forgive me but that type behavior is inexcusable. I hope you're able to find an onc that will listen and give you answers to your questions rather than dismiss everything as "that's just the way it is" type response. Wishing you speedy results in finding a caring, compassionate doctor.

BTW Don, since you also live in Houston, would you mind telling me if you and your wife are/were treated at MD Anderson or somewhere in the Medical Center?

I think I would be looking for a new Doctor FAST! I have been so blessed with all the Doctors I have dealt with. They all have positive attitudes and realize that statistics are just sets of numbers that don't mean much anymore!

Prayers for more compassion from your Doctor headed your way!

God Bless,

MO

You need to figure out what is happening, and you need to do it fast. Your doctor's attitude is inexcusable - clearly, something is different and you have every right to know, or at least to do as much as you can, to figure out what it is. My biggest regret with my father is that we didn't move on his new symptons fast enough - basically, we were scared of angering his doctors by pushing them to figure out why he was having new pain. By the time it became clear that something was going on with his liver, there was nothing to be done about it. Of course, the cause of your husband's pain need not be anything so serious - many people have bone pain from the chemo itself - but your doctors need to figure that out. With SCLC waiting a single day can make the difference between life and death. Insist that the painful area be scanned, or find another doctor (if that is an option for you.) Don't be afraid to be aggressive - your job is not to make sure that your doctor likes you, but to make sure that your husband gets the best treatment possible.

I hope your husband feels better soon,

a.

I read your post again, and wanted to add one more thing to my reply - part of the reason I think it is so important to get another assessment right away is that the window for second-line chemos is often very small. Hopefully, your husband's pain is being caused by something other than tumor spread, but if it is the tumor then finding that out now might allow him to try a different chemo. And that chemo might work. We waited too long with my father, and I will always blame myself for that and wonder what would have happened if we had pushed the doctors just a little harder.

a.