Stage IV lung and Stage II esophagus PET scan tomorrow

Kamoto

As many know I’ve been on Tagrisso since July 4th.  Tomorrow I’ll know if tumors are gone or reduced.  Especially hoping the esophagus is the same cancer and Tagrisso has shrunk that.  Otherwise I have to consider chemo radiation.  Yuck.  Now I sit without anything good to eat for 24 hours.  

Just now, Judy M2 said:

Kamoto doesn't have to fast but does have to avoid carbohydrates for 24 hours beforehand. I always treat myself to a steak for dinner the night before a PET scan. 

Good luck, Kamoto! 

Haha, I don't recall being asked to watch what I ate before my PET scan, only to fast for 6 hours, but I guess that is makes for more accurate imaging. I was told not to exercise the previous 24 hours and I had no problem whatsoever with that!

I was on a keto/low-carb diet for most of 2019, until I was diagnosed. It wasn't that difficult because there are lots of options these days. I still have to watch carbs to keep my A1C in check. 

Fasting 6 hours before a PET scan is standard, along with the no carb rule and no strenuous exercise. I alway schedule my PET scans first thing so I can get some coffee right after. 

Good luck, Kamoto! 

Lung tumor has shrunk from 2.5 x 2.1 cm to 1.6 x 1.4 cm.   Minimal activity on brain tumor so that is basically gone.  Left rib tumor gone.  Spinal tumor gone.  I believe the esophageal tumor is gone as well but need oncologist confirm. All the paratracheal and hilar adenopathy is done.  So astra zeneca is a life saver.  

• 3 months later...

Hi Kamoto,

I'm kind of new to all this site,  signing in from Ireland. Just read this and am so so glad for you.

Please let me know how you are doing when you get the chance. Would love to hear from you all as I have no group here with people who share this

I have had surgery two years ago and then some chemo.....

On another note I want to travel to the desert in Arazona or thereabout spend some time there. Does anybody have any idea how I could plan a trip like that???

I feel there is great healing there, or am I just cracking up!!!

Getting ready for my CT scan today.  I’m still miserable, see my update in chemo forum.  But hoping to be cancer free in the esophagus.  I’ve missed about three Tagrisso pills as I was just too sick to swallow them.  

Arizona is home to one of the finest hospitals in the country my Irish friend.  Mayo Clinic has a big operation in Scottsdale on the Fountain Hills border.  They also opened a new hospital in North Phoenix on the Scottsdale border.  They have a proton therapy center there so all state of the art.  Not as good as Mayo in Rochester,  but pretty close.  Feb and march are gorgeous in the desert.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Karen.  He says the rate of reduction is normal.  The easy parts get done first, then the hard parts take time.  I’m maintaining weight and tast is coming back.  I stopped throwing up daily.  I’ve even gotten out of the house.  Kindly

This is some good news! Especially the daily throwing up part and the return of taste. Now your job is to find some excruciatingly delicious morsel that you can just...savor. 

I'm getting together with a friend on Friday who dealt with esophageal cancer. He had a helluva time-- that is one nasty treatment series. He's gained back his weight and is out and about.

I'm glad you're hanging in there. 

• 2 months later...

Your results are so refreshing!  I am very happy to hear Tagrisso has worked so well for you!

My husband has NSCLC EGFR Exon 19 Del with Brain Mets (adenocarcinoma).  Can you share what dosage you are on?  My husband is on 120mg, however his doctor wants him to the max does of 160mg to penetrate his brain mets.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Yikes.  i have zero side effects at 80MG.  i had a pencil eraser brain met, and tagrisso whacked that within six months.  i'd be afraid of my heart at such a high dose.  who is your 2nd opinion center?  i use Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN and they agreed with my local cancer centers plan for 80MG.  My Montana oncologist was on the team at Denver Jewish hospital which helped get Tagrisso approved.  Be careful with Oncologists who want to toxic dose you. the repercussions can be worse than the hoped for cure.