My mom is going through round 2 of chemo

TheJRP

Hi everyone,

Starting in a couple of weeks, my mom will go through chemo again. A little background: she was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in 2017. Was taking tagrisso for a couple of years, had a few weeks of radiation and just recently her lung cancer has gotten worse.

She’s currently taking keytruda but it doesn’t seem to help. She will be taking Carboplation in addition to keytruda. I’m mostly just worried about the side effects: nausea, change in taste and hair loss.

Any suggestions or tips so we can be ready for this new journey? Also she is prescribed nausea meds as well.

I didn't have much nausea from chemo (6x carbo and taxol), but my hair and eyelashes did fall out. There are cold caps that can prevent hair loss if it's a concern. 

I don't recall if your mom has had a new biopsy (tissue or liquid) and biomarker testing. If she hasn't, it would be worth pressing for. 

I recommend getting supportive/palliative on the team before chemo starts. They are very helpful in managing side effects. 

Thank you! She hasn’t had any new biopsies. Her dr did give her medications to manage symptoms before and after chemo. I’m mostly worried she may get sick like she did with the first oral chemo before tegrisso. 

11 hours ago, Judy M2 said:

I didn't have much nausea from chemo (6x carbo and taxol), but my hair and eyelashes did fall out. There are cold caps that can prevent hair loss if it's a concern. 

I don't recall if your mom has had a new biopsy (tissue or liquid) and biomarker testing. If she hasn't, it would be worth pressing for. 

I recommend getting supportive/palliative on the team before chemo starts. They are very helpful in managing side effects. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.