How do I stay strong for my mom?

TheJRP

I am my mom’s caregiver and support for her stage 4 lung cancer. She’s been diagnosed with it back in 2017 and has gone through 2 types of oral chemo, radiation, currently with keytruda and in a few weeks more chemo.

I’m nervous about the new chemo treatment because I don’t know what to expect. My biggest concern is that we will relive the symptoms my mom has undergone with her first oral treatment that had her end up in the hospital for 4 days. 

Luckily, this round she has been prescribed with anti nausea meds, steroids and folic acid to help with the side effects from the new chemo treatment. I am also worried because her cancer has gotten worse. 

Because of the situation I’ve personally hit a numbness stage: I feel bleh, like nothing is interesting anymore, almost like a depression. I may have to return back to my therapist again. But I also wanted some suggestions as caretakers what works for you to get out of the funk. Thank you! 

JRP,

I guess you can tell you posed a tough question asking for suggestions to relieve the caretakers burden. While I was the patient, I recognized the burden my wife carried during my 3+ years of active treatment. She once characterized her experience as "running a marathon into hurricane force winds.

I don't have any suggestions for you but wanted to respond to let you know we understand and care.

Stay the course.

Tom