Early Detection and making smokers aware

dpetrie

Why is it that people who smoke are not told to get checked for cancer every 6 months? They know smoking causes cancer, but since lung cancer is so often detected late shouldnt there be some government campaign to help with early detection? Along with tobacco companies saying that smoking may cause lung cancer, shouldnt it maybe say "Think its time to get checked for lung cancer, you do smoke cigarettes"

-Doug :shock:

I agree. But isnt is unusual that the tobacco companies can continue to sell something that the government knows kills people. They banned ephedrine for only 4 deaths across the united states. Seatbelts are mandatory. Helmets are required for motorcycles in most states.

What the tobacco companies are doing is criminal. If I created a product and placed it on the market for sale and related deaths occured, I would be sued and possible criminally prosecuted. I wouldnt be allowed to sell the product but offer a website and commercials stating the possible related deaths.

You would think after all the court that the tobacco companys went through exposing that they add at least 500 carcinogenic chemicals to tobacco that at least they would be banned from doing that, but no all they have to do it just say "may be harmful to your health". Donna G

Each year since 2000, I've had a CT Lung Scan for free. The Marilyn & James Simons Early Lung Program at Beth Israel Medical Center provides this service to all smokers and non smokers over age 50 who smoked for at least 20 years. I mentioned this program to at least 20 smokers (possibly more) and not one person has taken the test. One person responded, "If I have lung cancer, I don't want to know about it." Another said, "If I have lung cancer it's my business and not yours." You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. As for the rest of the country, you can get a CT Lung Scan at thousands of Diagnostic Center for about $400, however few smokers are interested. It's certainly not about the cost since the average two pack a day smoker spends $3,000+ a year. I take the test each year because I feel that it's my responsibility and not the responsibility of the Government, Politicians, Advocate Groups, the Media, etc. Obviously, smokers are not interested in Prevention (and that includes me prior to quitting). If there was a nationwide program to take an annual CT Lung Scan, I doubt if many smokers would take it. Smokers don't believe that they will get lung cancer since the odds are against them since most smokers don't get lung cancer. My father was a chain smoker and never got lung cancer but died of heart disease at 54. Also, the public won't support a nationwide costly program since most non smokers strongly dislike smokers and have little sympathy for long term smokers who get cancer. When I was a smoker who smoked in public and violated non smokers many openly wished me lung cancer. Regardless, of all that's been said in this message, I would still like to see a nationwide program to test smokers and former long term smokers. Even if one in 25 came forward it would be worthwhile. One more comment: now that you can purchase tax free cigarettes online (about $2.00 a pack), I know several smokers who are smoking more since the cost is so low. How do you stop online purchasing? Cigarette & Alcohol have destroyed so many lives. If only we could ban both. Very unlikely.

Fear and denial are huge problems. And xrays don't catch everything - my mother had bronchitis and chest xrays last February. Nine months later, sclc extensive stage.

Many people underestimate how difficult it is to quit smoking. I've never smoked, but I've watched my mother battle to quit several times. She's finally quit, probably for good this time. I think many smokers buy into the idea that they are responsible for possible LC, and guilt, shame and fear keep them from getting screened.

The really scary part is, even if someone quits smoking, the damage may be done already. One of our newer members has a family member with sclc who quit smoking over 20 years ago!

Quitting smoking can be THE hardest thing a person EVER does. We KNOW it is bad for us, we KNOW it can cause health problems, we KNOW it makes us smell like a pile of dirty underwear, we KNOW it can hurt other people who are just in the same room and we STILL smoke! I quit the day I started chemo but there are days where I REALLY want a cig!!!! I can't stand the smell of them on other people, I can't stand to walk through an area where people are smoking but my BODY tells me I want one! I will NOT smoke as long as I don't buy them so I tend to stay away from areas where they sell cigs now, lol.

God Bless you all in your fight to quit if you are still smoking.

MO