How many rounds is the normal amount for chemo radiation

Kelvin4426

Hey guys just wondering how many rounds of chemo did u guys do. My mom did 2 rounds and about 30days radiation but been seeing most people get more than 2. My mom is stage 3b. After her treatment they put her on immunotherepy but stopped as the symptoms were really bad and doctor says it's fine cause they treated the cancer with chemoradiation. She has a scan in Nov to see if the cancer is gone but I'm scared. They say if the cancer comes back (seems like they think it goes away from treatment) they will start her on targeted therepy

Kelvin,

Oh boy, Stage 3B and first-line chemo-radiation with immunotherapy was a good plan. Without immunotherapy, I wonder.

The good part of the first-line plan was radiation. Radiation is the killer and it destroys tumor cells (really all cells). The adjuvant chemotherapy is supposed to sweep the blood stream and lymphatic system of stray blood cells. When I had the same first-line treatment, I had 6 rounds of chemotherapy with radiation. Immunotherapy perhaps substituted for additional conventional chemotherapy.

Did your mom have a biopsy and was that biopsy tested at a laboratory for biomarkers? I assume so, but you didn't mention it. Normally biomarkers are identified to check for targeted therapy and immunotherapy suitability before treatment.

We are crossing our fingers and toes for good scans in November.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hey Tom 

3 minutes ago, Tom Galli said:

Kelvin,

Oh boy, Stage 3B and first-line chemo-radiation with immunotherapy was a good plan. Without immunotherapy, I wonder.

The good part of the first-line plan was radiation. Radiation is the killer and it destroys tumor cells (really all cells). The adjuvant chemotherapy is supposed to sweep the blood stream and lymphatic system of stray blood cells. When I had the same first-line treatment, I had 6 rounds of chemotherapy with radiation. Immunotherapy perhaps substituted for additional conventional chemotherapy.

Did your mom have a biopsy and was that biopsy tested at a laboratory for biomarkers? I assume so, but you didn't mention it. Normally biomarkers are identified to check for targeted therapy and immunotherapy suitability before treatment.

We are crossing our fingers and toes for good scans in November.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hey Tom yes my mom was egfr exon 19 deletion positive. From what I read immunotherepy doesn't do much for these kinds of patients my scratch in the head is why they don't put her on target right away rather than waiting to see if it comes back and we still don't know if it did go away from treatment 

16 minutes ago, Judy M2 said:

I'm Stage IIIB, had 6x of carboplatin/taxol and 30x radiation before starting Tagrisso. I still cannot understand why your mom is getting immunotherapy, and I again urge a second opinion with an EGFR expert. 

My mom asked 3 different doctors and they said the same thing except 1 saying she doesn't know y she's doing immuno the other 2 said the same thing they'll treat it woth target if it comes back which is weird to me but canada seems a little flawed due to free health care system

Bizarre. Protocols in BC are international standards. Were all 3 doctors at BCCA? 
The 3 oncologists I talked to there and my respirologist all in Vancouver said no immuno for EGFR. Same for international opinions I sought. Did you try a remote US second opinion? 

15 minutes ago, LilyMir said:

Bizarre. Protocols in BC are international standards. Were all 3 doctors at BCCA? 
The 3 oncologists I talked to there and my respirologist all in Vancouver said no immuno for EGFR. Same for international opinions I sought. Did you try a remote US second opinion? 

They were all bcca everytime she has an appt with her 1st oncologist she would never be there and send another doctor the 3rd time that happened she asked to speak to her first one because there's been so many different opinions but we will see after her scan and hope for the best