Oncology counseling

Scruboak

I decided that I needed some help emotionally with all this cancer crap and contacted a therapist who specializes in counseling people with cancer. The therapist had leukemia 9 or 10 years ago and decided to focus her career on helping people with cancer. I am a retired clinical social worker and, of course, thought I knew all the skills. It became clear to me that I haven’t been using these skills - knowing what to do and actually doing that are two different things altogether.  So, I now have someone to keep me accountable. The first thing I realized was that I have been doing a mind f*** by believing everything I think and the second is that I have been giving the negative thoughts way too much weight.  I was so miserable that I was sleeping my afternoons away just to get away from myself. I have a “joy” list and have to do something from that list every day.  My next scan is early December to follow a new nodule. It could just as easily be gone entirely in contrast to my previously held conviction that it was growing, growing, growing. I think a huge blessing about getting cancer is that it helps us learn the power of “letting go” something that we mortals all have to grow towards with or without cancer. And, yes, I still have fear. 

I'm so glad that you sought help when you needed it.  We don't need to and shouldn't have to do this alone.  You realized that you needed professional help and got it.  For that I'm very glad.  We'll all be watching for your December scan...

Lou

Just a note to say how much I understand what you've been going through! The head games cancer plays on us....But you've done well by finding someone who can support you into brighter territory. Keep us posted!

I'm so glad you got some help the places this cancer puts us in is desperate at times I have been there a lot, please don't try and do it alone,goodluck with your December scan and I really hope everything is good,we are always here for you and in our thoughts and prayers 

Take care Justin 

Thanks all. CT with contrast scan was moved up to tomorrow-excitement and anxiety side by side! Does anyone know how much benefit a CT with contrast is compared to without contrast in nodule surveillance? What is it able to show that no contrast CT cannot?

15 hours ago, Karen_L said:

Just a note to say how much I understand what you've been going through! The head games cancer plays on us....But you've done well by finding someone who can support you into brighter territory. Keep us posted!

I love the use of “brighter territory”, Karen. ❤️

My last (first annual) CT Scan was without contrast.  I asked the oncologist about it and he told me that while using contrast can provide some more clarity that may be needed under certain circumstances it is not always needed and, in my case, was not needed for this follow up scan.  You can read some more about CT Scans and other imaging tests here.

All digits crossed on your scan.  Please update us when you can.

Lou

Hi, Just wanted to chime in on this thread.   I was also a licensed clinical social worker at the time of my diagnosis; the cancer center assigned an Onco-psychologist to me as part of my comprehensive team.  I remember being a little surprised as the psychologist was sooooo young.... I was wondering how this was going to all work.  Every time I saw him I couldn't get the word, "child doctor" out of my head.  Now that we've been together for four years, I think we both have found a groove that works if anything I can say certain things out loud that I would never say to my healthy friends... I find it helpful to have those types of discussions.  On occasion the youngster does come up with a few gems that make doing the mental work worthwhile for the long haul.