Hypermetabolic …Huh?

DRock

English please 😉 

Hypermetabolic, irregular subpleural nodule in the right upper lobe (SUV 5.8, 13mm)

What does hypermetabolic mean?

SUV = Standardized uptake value:  The amount of tracer that was absorbed  

The number is 5.8 but can anyone tell me what the range is or how I might be able to find a chart.

Would I be correct in interpreting this as a 13mm nodule in the RUL that is likely malignant BUT obviously would need to be confirmed by biopsy.

Thank you and Merry Christmas 🎄 

Carrie

Carrie,

Hypermetabolic means an abnormal increase in metabolic rate. In the context of a PET scan, it means areas were noted with Standard Uptake Values greater than say 2.5. In context your report of "Hypermetabolic, irregular sub pleural nodules in the right upper lobe (SUV 5.8, 13mm", the words mean there is an abnormal area of increased metabolic activity at a 13mm nodule below the pleural area of the lung in the right lower lobe. This suggests malignancy but there are other causes of increased metabolic activity and a biopsy is needed to confirm cancer. And, yes, unfortunately, you are correct in your interpretation.

I looked a long time for a SUV chart and surprisingly didn't find one. I think it is because there is a lot of variation in SUV returns and many reasons besides metastatic cancer that can cause an elevated SUV. In my case, I've been NED since March 2007 but my PET scans still return a SUV of about 3.5 in an area corresponding to my thoracic surgery incisions. I have a chronic pain condition in this area due to too many incisions! Here is a blog I wrote sometime ago that explains PET scans and SUVs that might help.

Merry Christmas and Stay the Course.

Tom

Tom,

Thank you so much for your excellent explanation, I really appreciate it.

I am scheduled for a biopsy on December 30th.  One more question, if you don’t mind.  I have “extensive mediastinal and periportal lymphadenopathy, in addition to a splenic focus.”  Will the biopsy include a sample from lymph nodes? 

Do you know what splenic focus means?

Congrats on your NED that is wonderful!!  Enjoy the best of the holiday season and Merry Christmas to you 🎄 

Carrie

Actually…one more question 😉 

The report also states that there is a “focus of uptake in the descending colon (SUV 10, 15mm) may represent a polyp an endoscopic correlation is recommended.”

*I understand it means that there was an uptake in the descending colon, may be a polyp and suggesting further testing.  But what would the 15mm represent?

Thank you!

Carrie,

Splenic focus means a noted lesion in the spleen. If a biopsy of the lung tumor is performed and returns for cancer, all scan identified areas of the body are presumed to be the same type of cancer as found in the primary lung lesion. So no, a separate lung biopsy would not be required. As for the colon find, the SUV suggests possible metastatic activity. 15 mm refers to the size of the noted activity. I wouldn’t know if it is a polyp or an area of the colon itself that is measured as 15mm.

Stay the course.

Tom