Change of medication due to kidneys

Sallysh

I have squamous cell with growth in left upper and one. Lymph node in medastinum (sp?) between lungs so IIIa. The regimen was Cisplatin an vp6 and radiation at same time, followed by immunotherapy.  Goal of chemo/radiation was cure as I am not good candidate for surgery. On day 20 of radiation and starting second round of chemo. Went in today an chemo nurse ask if the dr had to me he was changing the Cisplatin to carboplatin because of kidney issues. Now two new worries, the kidney values are bad and my understanding is carboplatin is not often used for cure. I will be getting biweekly kidney hydration but still worry about cure. Any advice or thoughts 

Don't worry  about Carboplatin, it is generally considered as effective  as Cisplatin, with much  less toxicity. I read a lot about the difference  in published papers and the slight edge in effectiveness of Cisplatin was not much and not for all cases; I  think they are almost the same in lung cancer situations. Cisplatin gave me the most horrendous side effects and I was switched to Carboplatin after the first infusion (much less side effects). Best of luck and hope your treatment will be curative, stay hopeful!

Thanks Lily and Tom. Lily I was nauseous every day after first round with Cisplatin, right up to two days before starting again.  So far nothing with carboplatin. Discussed with my radiology oncologist today.  He is the most invested in the cure. He basically said the same. He said if he needed the tree would choose carboplatin.  Advised not to fall into the myth that bad side effects means it’s working better.  Did you have kidney problems?

No, no serious side effects with Carboplatin. With Cisplatin, I had hearing loss, severe tinnitus, terrible whole body pain, very high pulse, neutropenia, the works, and that was from 1 infusion. Nausea was controlled with Akynzeo very effectively throughout chemo. I drank plenty  of water, including electrolytes, but even then  needed IV hydration to feel better. They did that before and after each infusion after the terrible first cycle and it  helped a lot too.

Thanks for your reply.  I will be getting four hydration infusions before my next round. Finished my second today, first with carboplatin. I also had only one course of the Cisplatin and that damaged my kidneys. Reversible most likely.   Still optimistic but when there’s a change, I do have moments of panic. Goes with the process I guess.  

I, too, had carbo, mine as first line of treatment. I had a tiny bit of nausea, managed with Zofran & Compezine. I'm glad they caught the kidney problem. Try to trust that the kidney hydration will work. It's so easy to say, so hard to do....

Have had two hydration infusions. After just one and the change to carboplatin, my kidneys are almost normal so that’s great. Far fewer side effects from carbo. Still nauseous but not so bad. Only three more radiation treatments. The chemo doc wants a pet scan in 5/weeks, although radiation doc says 12.  Chemo doc really wants me to do a surgery consult if the lymph node outside the lung is gone. I’ will do it but don’t think surgery will be good based on my copd and age (75), along with the high dose of radiation, that was directed at cure. So many conflicting thoughts. I want to live, of course, but want good quality of life too