Big Surgery Tomorrow

ejpritz

Hi Everyone:

Tomorrow is the big day for my mother. She is having a lobe removed form her lung as well as two ribbs.

I guess I am looking for good vibes for her, the whole thing has me very nervous. she is a nervous wreck!!!!

What can be expected as far as recovery? Any insight? I guess I am trying to figure out how bad she will be in the next few weeks.

Thanks,

erin

Erin,

I will say a prayer for your mother.

Remember, make sure your mother takes all the pain meds, there is not reason not to.

Get your mother a pillow or a teddy bear or something to hold against her incision when she coughs or moves or whatever.

It is a tough surgery but it offers the best chance for cure.

Ginny

Erin,

It is not an easy surgery, nor is the recovery a piece of cake. BUT with persistence, you mom will get through it. It will hurt for a while, and there's those funny numb patches that don't seem to want to go away. Remember, if she seems grouchy, she's not having a lot of fun either. It is really important, I feel, that she do the arm limbering exercises as soon as the surgeon says she can, also, I found that occupational therapy in addition to physical therapy to be very useful. It helped me recover function that much quicker.

With God's grace the tumors will be gone, and the reports from path will be good.

I will certainly remember your mother in my prayers, as well as the rest of the family. I also pray that everything is straightforward and simple, and over sooner than you can say jackBquick!!

XOXOX

MaryAnn

Erin,

It is not an easy surgery, nor is the recovery a piece of cake. BUT with persistence, you mom will get through it. It will hurt for a while, and there's those funny numb patches that don't seem to want to go away. Remember, if she seems grouchy, she's not having a lot of fun either. It is really important, I feel, that she do the arm limbering exercises as soon as the surgeon says she can, also, I found that occupational therapy in addition to physical therapy to be very useful. It helped me recover function that much quicker.

With God's grace the tumors will be gone, and the reports from path will be good.

I will certainly remember your mother in my prayers, as well as the rest of the family. I also pray that everything is straightforward and simple, and over sooner than you can say jackBquick!!

XOXOX

MaryAnn

This is unbelievable. I cannot believe what I was jsut told at 4pm today. My mother called the surgeon's office to confirm everything as she was supposed to the day before and he told her that he has found it in her spine, so the surgery is cancelled.

I guess he has een trying to get in touch with her for over a week and she has not been answering the phone.

So now what? I don't know what this means...does anyone have any advice?

Erin,

I am so sorry to hear the new news.

My fiancee's mother is in a similar boat (she was just dx'ed on Friday) and we collectively feel like we have been hit by a Mack truck.

I made a couple of posts today trying to find out what bone mets really meant. I was just going to see if any responses had been posted when I saw your note.

I have read about a BUNCH of people with stage IV mets to bone who are still alive and kicking or in remission (and even one or two who are cancer free!).

Has your mom had a PET scan? Brain scan? Does she have spinal pain? Have her ask her doctor about Zometa--I've been reading a lot about that (see Don Wood's posts).

You are in my thoughts.

Melinda

Sorry to hear that the surgery had to be cancelled. I also had a Pancoast Tumor, diagnosed in Dec. 97. I had Cisplatin and VP 16 and daily radiation for a couple of months before they would do surgery. When they did surgery I asked about the tumor and they said it was only scar tissue that was left. Even at that they went ahead and gave me more chemo after surgery. I hope this is true with your fiancees Mom, that it is all scar tissue. Soon she should find out what they are going to do about that spine. Please let us know. By the way I know where Winthrop is, I was born and raised in Boston, I graduated from Boston City Hospital School of Nursing (that no longer exists) She will be in my prayers. Donna G

Thanks, I am praying it is scar tissue or something benign. I cannot believe the let down this has been. We were so excited about the surgery and my poor mother had already packed when she got the call. It feels like we are starting over, the anxiety about waiting for results again. It hit so hard when the diasgnosis came, then we had such high hopes for the surgery. To have it cancelled like this the night before it was to take place was awful. We will receive the results of her bone scan Monday and will find out what is what.

I guess all we can do this weekend is stay positive.

I just wish I knew how to handle her emotions. I do not not how to act or what to say, I cannnot imagine how terrified she must be.

My heart goes out to you and your mom and sister. I don't know that there is much you can do, but wait. Hold her close and let her know you love her dearly. I will keep you close in my thoughts.

PM me if you need to talk. I am about your mom's age and maybe I can help.

Elaine

Erin, I am so very sorry to hear that your Mom will not be having surgery. What a let down it must have been for you and all your family.I do hope they will find some other form of agressive treatment which she can have.

Positive thoughts coming your way,

Paddy