Letter to the Editor

Hi All,

Just had to share this little article with you that was in our Newspaper the other day. :roll::roll::roll:

Obesity Tax

Now that we know that obesity kills as many as smoking - I'm willing to bet more. Let's figure out a way to tax those people.

Taxes on my cigarettes may be raised another 29 cents, so let's enact a special tax on junk foods and fast-food joints.

Being overwight is as much a choice as smoking. Let them pay their fair share on higher insurance and health care costs, my costly (and chosen) habit shouldn't have to support theirs.

Signed _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

NO I didn't write this, but I thought everyone would maybe get a little chuckle from it.

Have a GREAT DAY!

• 1 month later...

Great idea- a potato chip , french fries tax, and deserts. All vegetables and fruits tax free. Believe me not only does obeisity cause more illness and death but they need extra large beds, wheelchairs, chairs, gowns, and special equipment for the nurses to be able to move them with out throwing our backs out. I confess I am 30 pounds over myself. Donna G

I am NOT overweight, I am under tall. My weight would be perfect if I were something like 9'12".... :wink:

Never smoked, but LOVE that junk food and fondly remember the times I could eat a Snicker's bar for lunch and not see it appear on my butt and/or hips the very next day! ARGH! Metabolism, where art thou?

I always thought there WAS a tax on tater chips - look at the price of some of those bags of air (Packed by weight, not volume my eye, I've opened snack size bags that were EMPTY)! Can't tell me that there is $3.59 worth of spuds in those bags....

(Oh shoot, don't tell Ry I was here...)

Connie,

I needed that kick in the butt today, thank you :) I realize I HAVE to get my weight under control or I am pot calling the kettle black worrying about cancer and telling people about early detection.

I've always had a chubby tendency. There were two times in my life only when I was so depressed I could not eat---3 years ago after a break up and at my mom's diagnosis. Both times though afater a couple of days on prozac, food obession returned :(

I need the energy to exercise, that is my problem. I blame my job and say I work too many hours, but in reality it is just an excuse. Oy vey is all I can say:) I gotta do it. If I don't, I will have diabetes next year, I am sure of it. It runs in my family, so I am more at risk. And then I just got my labs back from earlier this week (my yearly labs) and all was good except sugar was slightly elevated 112 and it needs to be rechecked in 6 months. It is clear what path I am heading towards and if I don't do something now, I will regret it.

I have been asked many times, since people know I have lung cancer, if I am on any special diet, and if so what diet. My answer has always been, "I eat whatever I want to eat". To include french fries, Big Mac's, and my favorite, a Dairy Queen large hot fudge sundae. I still am about 15 pounds below my pre-surgery weight of 150 pounds, but am gradually gaining that back. I was about 5 pounds short of that goal, one year ago, right before I started chemo. Of course, I lost some weight while on chemo. I definitely do not recommend chemo, or thoracic surgery, as a weight reduction program.

For some reason, Dave, with that Gr behind your name and the golf shot, I always think of Tony the Tiger when I see your posts.... Odd - not sure what golf has to do with breakfast cereal....

But hey, you're GRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrreat! :wink: