Moderate Pericardial Effusion

Cindy RN

I had the echo done this am. the tech-(we know they can read these things 8) ) measured the amount of effusion (fluid) present and it seems to be in the moderate range. I am unsure if they do anything at this point. I don't know if there should be a follow-up echo done to see if the amount grows?? Maybe someone else has had this and knows. I have not been too symptomatic with this-a little more short of breath with min. exertion. Guess time will tell.

Cindy

Cindy,

I sure cant help by answering any of your medical questions, but pls know that I am here to support you in other ways.

Also, I will keep you in my thoughts. I assume you will be talking to your Doctor about the questions? When? Anyway, I hope it is nothing to be concerned over and am glad to hear you are going on inspite of the symptoms. You mean so much to so many. I am forever grateful that you have responded to me in my times of need.

Elain

Dear Cindy,

I just want you to know how much I admire your, as well as the other members, strength and courage in dealing with this awful disease. It seems you continue to remain positive, although it has to be difficult for you being in the medical field.

Sam had a small pericardial effusion and was asymptomatic as far as we knew. His shortness of breath was contributed to the radiation pneumonitis and the effusion seemed of minor significance.

Hopefully, your docs will keep your monitored.

God bless us all.

Sam'swifeShirley

Thanks Shirley.

At times like this I sure do miss Sam, he knew from being a Dr that we dig a little deeper than should be to find out what the results of something are or can be. I have always said those with any medical background know enough to be scary. With the internet today you can find out WAY too much about what is going on which is good but at times it is more than a person can handle all at once. Thanks for your concern

Love Cindy

Cindy,

I hear you loud and clear. The internet has been both a blessing and a curse for me--. Yes knowledge IS power. But like my dad would say--"A little bit of knowledge can be dangerous."

Now I know why he really didn't want to know much about his disease. He left that up to others--after all, he was LIVING it.

Unfortuanelty, I only understand a tiny bit of what I read--enough to be scary. And once read, it's impossible to unring the bell.

Thinking of you every day.

Elaine

Guest LarryR

My wife Jan, diagnosed in February 2003 with Ext. SCLC went through what you are ging through now with the pericardial effusion back over New Year's. Her scan showed a "moderate" effusion. They still decided to put in what is called a "window", in which the surgeon cut out a postage stamp size piece of the pericardial membrane so that any fluid that came back would simply drain into the chest cavity from now on. When he drained the fluid during the operation, he said that all the "moderate effusions" he had drained in the past were around 50 cc's. He drained 450 cc's from Jan and said it was a very large effusion. We are so glad that they felt the fluid needed to be taken out! Please be careful with this, especially when they are telling you it is a moderate effusion!

Guest Larry R

One more thing Cindy, have you had any scans done as of late? The effusion is being caused by something and we were hoping that with Jan, it was her rheumatoid arthritis being the culprit. Unfortunately as her oncologist suspected, the cancer did come back to her lymph nodes around her left lung and several spots in her liver. With a history of cancer, that is usually the prime suspect when it comes to pericardial and pleural effusions. She is back on chemo and they seem to think they will knock it right back out again. You have been so inspiring and it sounds like you and Jan have gone through much of the same. Pleae don't take this effusion business lightly!

Cindy--

-I cannot help with the medical but I just hope this clears up soon---and you get some answers with NED visiting you for a very long time---

Maybe by the next echo , it will have disappeared---

best wishes